PDA

View Full Version : what fishes to add?

dirk_brijs
01/23/2016, 04:48 AM
have a 1000 gallon system (see build here http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2492225) and have the following stock list in there
The main idea behind the system is fish though some corals have been added like some elgances, Zoas, simple mushrooms and some bubble coral so nothing of significance so main reason is fish
So what fish you guys can and or should be added to this system without causing outright wars in the tank hopefully.

this is the current stocklist
1 emperor angel
1 powder blue tang
1 powder brown tang
6 yellow tangs
3 blue tang
2 naso
1 sailfin tang
1 scopa tang
1 mimic lemon peel tang
1 purple tang
15 blue green chromis
10 pink anthias
6 or 7 three stripe damsels
1 pakistani butterflyfish
2 vagabond butterfly
2 purple dotty backs
2 striped dotty backs
14 percula clownfish
2 clarkii clownfish
2 cardinal fish
1 blue damsel
1 bi-color angel
2 lawnmower blennies

Dmorty217
01/23/2016, 07:54 AM
Some more Angels

BrianD
01/23/2016, 08:29 AM
I had eventual war in my 8x3x3 tank with a sailfin and a hepatus. You are contemplating 17 tangs (if I counted correctly), not to mention all the other fish.

That seems way overdone to me. If I had a tank like that, I would have a few show fish and wrasses out the wazzoo.

dirk_brijs
01/23/2016, 09:08 AM
I had eventual war in my 8x3x3 tank with a sailfin and a hepatus. You are contemplating 17 tangs (if I counted correctly), not to mention all the other fish.

That seems way overdone to me. If I had a tank like that, I would have a few show fish and wrasses out the wazzoo.

all tangs seem to be doing real well and get along well
tank is 11 x 4 x 6
what kind of show fish your talking about?

BrianD
01/23/2016, 09:33 AM
all tangs seem to be doing real well and get along well
tank is 11 x 4 x 6

I hope it continues that way. My tank was fine for years until something flipped the switch.

what kind of show fish your talking about?

I didn't realize you had already stocked the tank, so it is probably a moot point. Sorry, I didn't read the build thread.

jbvdhp
01/23/2016, 09:58 AM
Damn!!! Id have a mermaid. A hot one.

mdslackman
01/24/2016, 02:10 AM
Are you considering any wrasses?

ThRoewer
01/24/2016, 03:55 AM
Some more Angels

+1

And add not just one emperor - add 2 to have a pair.
Same for the bicolor - in the wild you usually find them in pairs.

I personally would also add a pair of regal angels and a pair of copperband butterflies.

I would also seriously cut down the number of tangs - they will just make everybody nervous and stressed out (= fertile grounds for ich and other diseases).
Also, your tank dimensions are way more suitable for angels (they like high walls to scout) than for tangs. If it was me I would just keep the 2 naso, the yellows and maybe the powder blue or the powder brown.

The 2 purple dottybacks will get lost in that tank - I would add more as they form harems.
I would do this for striped dottybacks as well.
Same for the blue damsel - one will just be lost in there.

I would also add 3 to 5 marine bettas. Females of different sizes get along and the largest will become the male of the group.

And I would add a few goby pairs to have something to populate the bottom.

A few mandarins (one male and a couple of females) should work too in that tank.

A whole lot of flasher wrasses might be nice too

Clownfish will be lost in that tank without anemones. I would add a few magifica and BTAs, maybe giganteas. I would also cut down the numbers to maybe 3 to 4 pairs (that's already pushing it).

johnike
01/24/2016, 06:01 AM

I miss your tank.
:(

dirk_brijs
01/26/2016, 07:16 AM
+1

And add not just one emperor - add 2 to have a pair.
Same for the bicolor - in the wild you usually find them in pairs.

I personally would also add a pair of regal angels and a pair of copperband butterflies.

I would also seriously cut down the number of tangs - they will just make everybody nervous and stressed out (= fertile grounds for ich and other diseases).
Also, your tank dimensions are way more suitable for angels (they like high walls to scout) than for tangs. If it was me I would just keep the 2 naso, the yellows and maybe the powder blue or the powder brown.

The 2 purple dottybacks will get lost in that tank - I would add more as they form harems.
I would do this for striped dottybacks as well.
Same for the blue damsel - one will just be lost in there.

I would also add 3 to 5 marine bettas. Females of different sizes get along and the largest will become the male of the group.

And I would add a few goby pairs to have something to populate the bottom.

A few mandarins (one male and a couple of females) should work too in that tank.

A whole lot of flasher wrasses might be nice too

Clownfish will be lost in that tank without anemones. I would add a few magifica and BTAs, maybe giganteas. I would also cut down the numbers to maybe 3 to 4 pairs (that's already pushing it).

Thanks some good ideas here.
Though for the second emperor with the one in there for a while now wouldnt he become aggressive to the new entry?

scooter31707
01/26/2016, 09:27 AM
That is a lot of Tangs. Look into some Wrasses. There are some nice ones out there. Also some dwarf Angels.

dirk_brijs
02/03/2016, 06:49 AM
added to the stock list
5 fire fish
2 green mandarins
2 yellow gobies
2 orange spotted gobies
3 blue spiny lobster
2 scooter blennies

Dkuhlmann
02/03/2016, 09:06 AM
Gotta have at least one Midas Blenny!