PDA

View Full Version : gonodactylaceus ternatensis burrow advice

EI Gringo
01/23/2016, 04:13 PM
I want my ternatensis active and interactive when I set up for enclosure in my new tank, should I go with a pvc burrow with multiple entrances to keep her opening and closing entrances or let her make something in the rockwork IE excavate her own burrow. I do ofcourse want her to be satisfied with the burrow and I would go with 34mm inner diameter pipe if I used pvc. Thoughts? Asking this to kharn in particular. Cheers guys

nmotz
01/25/2016, 02:13 PM
Since G. Tern's are cavity-dwelling species, I would say drill some holes in a big piece of rock and see if she'll take up residence there. In the wild, this species is found in heads of live coral. Dr. Caldwell said that Pocillipora Damicornis was a common host. Obviously you don't want to go chopping up live coral, but a good piece of LR might make a decent substitute.

In my opinion, only Peacocks need PVC, and if it weren't for their size and special requirements I would never use PVC because I prefer a more natural look. In my case, the needs of the animal are more important so my Peacock gets a PVC pipe. G. Terns will live in whatever space is available, but I'm not sure it makes much of a difference for them in terms of overall health.

EI Gringo
01/26/2016, 12:08 PM
My concern is that I'll never see the thing if I leave it to its own devices

nmotz
01/26/2016, 01:39 PM
It's possible, but it might hide in the PVC too though, you never really know. Every mantis has its own tendencies. The two Peacocks I had were very different from each other. I had a fairly active G. Chiragra, which is a rarity. I've seen videos of other Gonodactylids that were acting like Peacocks (very interactive and inquisitive). Burrow requirements may or may not help your mantis feel more comfortable. Kharn would know more about that I suppose.

EI Gringo
01/27/2016, 04:34 AM
I've got a week to think about it, probably just end up making it a burrow because I don't want it destroying frags in the long run

JokerGirl
01/29/2016, 05:21 PM
Mine hollowed out her own labyrinth in a piece of rock I had. It already had a small cavity with a couple of access holes. She blocked one off with rubble, knocked some more space out for herself, then opened another access hole.

In terms of activity, she's quite personable, but typically doesn't stay out of her burrow for long periods. She has no problem giving me some pretty intense threat displays anytime I stop to peek in at her, though.

Here's a more recent one where I did manage to catch her on the hunt of a snail hiding near the water line:

https://jokergirl.smugmug.com/photos/i-bBCzrxn/0/L/i-bBCzrxn-L.jpg

and one of her in threat mode. She'll often hang her body more than halfway out of her burrow to defensively show off her meral spots

https://jokergirl.smugmug.com/photos/i-R7Szv5h/0/L/i-R7Szv5h-L.jpg

gozermantis
01/29/2016, 08:39 PM
Gorgeous Joker! Long time since I've seen you! My Tern had already made some crazy passages through the rock I gave him. He comes out here and there but he loves to flare his threat stance at me a lot. He is a blast.

JokerGirl
01/30/2016, 07:14 AM
Hi to you too! Still lurk around, just don't have time to post much anymore.

I've really enjoyed my Tern, even though she was an accidental. I think just through the sheer nature of how they live in the wild makes them more prone to choosing a natural burrow over a PVC burrow in the sand. She tends to stick to the rock work, and rarely do I see her down in the sand.

EI Gringo
01/31/2016, 03:14 AM
You've convinced me, I'll just make a big rock scape and let her work it out for herself. I also find that mine will be very active during midday but disappear completely the rest of the time