PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater On Plugs

adoptaspork
01/23/2016, 08:21 PM
Hello!
Quick question here. I had an accident while moving things around and setting up my new tank, and I accidentally spilled saltwater on my surge protector. I unplugged the strip from the wall and unplugged the items that I had plugged into it (skimmer etc). It was set up in a supposedly safe place with drip loops etc...it was human error 100%.

I'm assuming my power strip can no longer be used. The question is, though, how should I clean the saltwater off of the plugs for the pumps/skimmer/etc to avoid corrosion? Also, if there is any corrosion, what is the best way to clean it?

Dkuhlmann
01/23/2016, 09:03 PM
What makes you think you can't use the power strip? Rinse the strip off with fresh water and let it dry then plug it all back in.

adoptaspork
01/23/2016, 09:40 PM
Is it safe to rinse the surge protector out with distilled water and then air dry it? Nothing will rust or corrode because of it? I wiped off the prongs of the plugs that had been plugged into it a few times over with distilled water...

dragonsong
01/23/2016, 09:46 PM
I dumped about a cup of water straight on mine and it started sizzling (big OOPS). Went into the trash cause I'd rather be 100% safe.

Bruce51
01/23/2016, 10:16 PM
just rinse it in tap water(unplugged of course) and let it dry out for 3 or 4 days in a warm room...it should be fine

kmbyrnes
01/24/2016, 07:07 AM
I would say it depends on if there are any burns, melting or discoloration.
If yes, toss it. Otherwise, unplug it, rinse it and let it dry out.

welshintheusa
01/24/2016, 08:39 AM
wash it off, warm water, to dissolve any salts. Hair dryer and a day or 2 and it will be fine. If you plug it in and it sizzles, well its not dry enough. If you are doubtful just Bin it.

Apotack
01/24/2016, 09:35 AM
Just get a new one. Water of any kind and electrical components do not mix. Why chance having a problem that can cause a fire?

reefiness
01/24/2016, 12:08 PM
I would play it safe and get a new one as well. As for the plugs, I clean mine every so often with a paper towel wet with RODI water.

adoptaspork
02/26/2016, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the help, guys! In the end I just got a new strip because I didn't want to chance it!

kmbyrnes
02/27/2016, 07:20 AM
Power strips a re cheap compared to house fires. Glad you got a new one. As for the plugs on other components, use a rag dipped in RO/DI and let dry. The plugs are injection molded and unless the cord is frayed, they will be waterproof.

billdogg
02/27/2016, 07:44 AM
I'm gonna side with pitch it and get a new one.

At lest IMO, suggesting that it can safely be rinsed out and reused is just not a good practice. (unless you are trying to keep your local Fire Department busy)

BrokenSpoke
02/27/2016, 11:57 AM
Just get a new one. Water of any kind and electrical components do not mix. Why chance having a problem that can cause a fire?

My thoughts exactly. Surge protectors are cheap to replace. Items damaged by fire are not.