PDA

View Full Version : Tank won't heat up

RayAllen3422
01/24/2016, 12:26 PM
I just recently set up my tank and it is cycling. It is a 125 gallon tank with a 75 gallon sump. I have two 300 watt eheim heaters bought new. With both of them on full I can't get the tank to get any warmer than 76 degrees. I have had tanks in the past and used a heater in the sump and I never had an issue. I am assuming they are faulty heaters because one alone should be capable of heating the tank. Anyone else experience similar issues?

lonbrat
01/24/2016, 12:34 PM
How long have they been in the tank? Are they on different sides of the tank?

I've had bad luck with heaters, they might be faulty, about 1 out of three is faulty In my case.

zeebies
01/24/2016, 12:34 PM
Probably not faulty. I have many of the Eheim heaters. You need to calibrate those heaters, then they are very accurate.

crazymnkeyman77
01/24/2016, 12:44 PM
Probably not faulty. I have many of the Eheim heaters. You need to calibrate those heaters, then they are very accurate.

I agree

RayAllen3422
01/24/2016, 12:51 PM

I understand the calibration thing but I have it turned up as high as they will go and it won't heat up. Am I missing something?

Sk8r
01/24/2016, 12:54 PM
Rock and sand are a heat-sink. They warm slower than water, as they cool off slower than water. It may be that this is affecting the warming, but ultimately it should be the same temperature all the way to the core. OTOH, at a certain point---should have worked. Are both heaters warm to the touch?

sfdan
01/24/2016, 12:57 PM
Are the heaters fully submerged? Those heaters wont turn on unless they are submerged to the water line on the heater.

You should be able to test to see if both of them are working by seeing if the light is on and if so (carefully) touching them to see if they are hot. If both of them are working full time and can't get your tank warm enough then you probably need a 3rd heater (though I'd be a little surprised by that).

RayAllen3422
01/24/2016, 01:18 PM
Are the heaters fully submerged? Those heaters wont turn on unless they are submerged to the water line on the heater.

You should be able to test to see if both of them are working by seeing if the light is on and if so (carefully) touching them to see if they are hot. If both of them are working full time and can't get your tank warm enough then you probably need a 3rd heater (though I'd be a little surprised by that).

Only one is lit up. Both are warm to the touch though. They are both fully submerged as well. No clue what is going on. I'll have to call. I think one is defective.

heathlindner25
01/24/2016, 01:40 PM
"Warm to the touch " is not how I describe a heater that is working properly and I touch it...lol

RayAllen3422
01/24/2016, 01:58 PM
"Warm to the touch " is not how I describe a heater that is working properly and I touch it...lol

Okay. Then maybe neither are working properly.