PDA

View Full Version : double cone 180 or 200?

MacLovin
01/24/2016, 01:27 PM
I sort of feel like I am in between a dc 180 and a dc 200. I had a 60"x28"x24" tank built and the tank calculator tells me I have 174 gallons but with 1" thick acrylic do I subtract 2" off each number? If so it tells me I have 143 gallons with about 25 gallons in my sump. I have a pretty heavy load of fish and I feed lots of phytoplankton along with some zooplankton.

slief
01/24/2016, 02:02 PM
I sort of feel like I am in between a dc 180 and a dc 200. I had a 60"x28"x24" tank built and the tank calculator tells me I have 174 gallons but with 1" thick acrylic do I subtract 2" off each number? If so it tells me I have 143 gallons with about 25 gallons in my sump. I have a pretty heavy load of fish and I feed lots of phytoplankton along with some zooplankton.

You would need to subtract 2" from the dimensions. Also consider that your live rock will also reduce water volume a little bit. I would say the 180 would work well and would be my first suggestion unless you truly have a 174g volume with a heavier load. You could use a 200 but it would be a bit oversized and unless you have a heavy load, it might prove to be a bit inconsistent. The phyto will certainly increase your organics but unless you have a fair amount of green water, I am not sure that will impact your load much other than for short bursts when you feed. If you did go with the 200, you would end up needing to run the skimmer particularly wet or live with some inconsistency. Essentially the skimmer will produce a bunch of skimmate for a couple days then slow down for a few days before it picks back up.

biecacka
01/24/2016, 02:06 PM
Slief is the expert here for sure. I agree to go with the dc180. I use the DC200 on my 240 and I have 30 fish in it and I am running it deeper than I anticipated in the sump. While 1/2 my fish are smaller, I feed a fair amount but I still have a lighter load for this skimmer. They are work horses!!!!

Corey