PDA

View Full Version : I want a damsel

GOSKN5
01/25/2016, 04:03 PM
So I'm stocking my 74 gallon tower (24x24x30) I want a blue fish that's an open water swimmer with action...

Current stock is black snowflake clown, flame hawkfish, orchid dottyback, pink spot goby.

I want to add a damsel as my last fish..

Considering starcki, orangetail, or springers, possibly azure...

I understand these are generally less aggressive.. any thoughts on which is better.. less likely to go nuts etc??

Really like the orangetail as #1...

Sk8r
01/25/2016, 04:21 PM
Blue Fiji Devil is a pretty good citizen. They are an up and down swimmer, all over the water column. And quite bright blue. I run a damsel tank, multiples, (except the 8 day power out from which I am building back my crew) and typically there is one boss, who spends all her time swaggering about, and the rest just move out of her way and otherwise ignore her. A 100 is requisite if you're going to have more than one, but a single Fiji Blue or any of the ones you named should be polite in a 75. The ones to watch out for are, in general, the dascyllus species: body shape, manners, and probably genetics akin to the tomato clownfish: cranky and pushy and wanting a lot of territory. THe chrysipteras are much milder, as a type.

o2manyfish
01/25/2016, 04:35 PM
I have all the ones you listed together in a community tank and they are all well behaved.

The starkii gets substantially bigger than the rest, but the Starkii is usually a very mellow fish. The orangetails are great, I have 4 of them sometimes they are together and sometimes they are all spread out, but not aggressive unless they are hanging in a hole or cave and then they protect the opening.

The Springeri damsel is super mellow. I have 8-10 of them. They are super easy going and they don't have any attitude at all.

Another one to consider is the Kupang. These guys are very bright and colorful. They usually find one coral and call that home base, and try to stay as near to that as possible. You can have several of them, and as long as they each have a colony to hang out they just sit above or next to their coral and call that home.

Dave B

ThRoewer
01/25/2016, 05:29 PM
I would vote for starki - it's a very pretty one. I have two males right now in a 10 gallon QT (separated by eggcrate) together with a neon dottyback. There is some chasing of the dottyback during feedings, but it never goes beyond chasing him away.
The two starki males will of course fight when put together. One once found a way to get into the others compartment and got his fins shredded.

Dkuhlmann
01/25/2016, 05:31 PM
This is the only damsel I want. Starcki

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/custom/images/large/4d4fe71e2b119.jpg

ThRoewer
01/25/2016, 05:46 PM
This is the only damsel I want. Starcki

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/custom/images/large/4d4fe71e2b119.jpg

The only issue with them is that you don't find them very often, and when they are often quite large (= males).
I'm still looking for females.

T Haynes
01/25/2016, 06:01 PM
No you don't. They're *** holes

Atilla_87
01/25/2016, 06:12 PM
No you don't. They're *** holes

This has been my experience as well. I had a couple of orange tails. They harrassed every fish in the tank, no matter how much bigger they were. They killed my royal gramma and dottyback before I finally managed to trap them and get rid of them. Maybe I got unlucky, but it was enough to keep me from ever getting another damsel again. I would recommend chromis (which are technically in the damsel family), but are very peaceful. The blue-green is obviously more common, but I prefer the blue reef chromis.

ThRoewer
01/25/2016, 06:32 PM
That's the issue you get when keeping them alone - you end up with a frustrated male that has nothing else to do but harass everyone else.
If you keep them in pairs or harem groups they are way too busy with themselves to harass other fish.
At least that is my experience.

Atilla_87
01/25/2016, 06:53 PM
I added 4 orange tails when I had them. Three of them ganged up on the 4th one and killed it the first day. Then the remaining 3 spent the rest of their time harassing all of the other fish in my tank. They never seemed to bother each other though.

Atilla_87
01/25/2016, 06:55 PM
Here is a picture of the blue reef chromis I was talking about. They look really cool schooling together.

GOSKN5
01/25/2016, 07:19 PM
Blue reef chromis is nice.. but not really what I'm looking for.. the blue doesn't seem as impressive in person that I have seen..

I love the starcki just can't seem to find one... I'm hoping one of the orangetail or springers will be the ticket... springers seems like safest bet for mellow

Dkuhlmann
01/25/2016, 09:13 PM
The Starcki is said to be the most laid back and least aggressive of all of the damsels. So they say

Achilles Torben
01/26/2016, 01:20 AM
My starckii lost the bright yellow coloration after a few days. Now they are yellow grey. Somebody make the same experience?

Big E
01/26/2016, 07:01 AM
Cooks Island Deepwater Canary is spectacular (Chrysiptera galba).

Pictures don't do them justice.........Bright yellow with flowing fins and awesome blue lines in the eyes. The scales also have a pinkish hue that shows up off and on as the lighting hits them.

Great mild disposition too.

GOSKN5
01/26/2016, 07:23 AM
Yea that canary Deepwater is awesome... I see them on DD occasionally... pricey tho

fairl80z
01/26/2016, 07:33 AM
Don't get any black and white one, no 3 or 4 stripe. Or even dominos . These thing have wrecked my tank in the past

o2manyfish
01/26/2016, 03:43 PM
My starckii lost the bright yellow coloration after a few days. Now they are yellow grey. Somebody make the same experience?

I have had 4 Starkii in the past 5 years. They have all kept their colors. None of them have faded to grey.

I currently have 2 and 1 is twice the size of the other one. They are usually within a few inches of each other, but the smaller one is always under a ledge or under a coral. So it's colors are not near as bright as the larger fish.

I did have what you are describing with a 'Surge Damsel'. Came across a damsel that was a beautiful Yellow with a blue bar down the middle. Grabbed it up because it was something I had never seen before. Put it in my tank and it immediately turned a charcoal grey with a light grey band down the middle. Turns out they are only pretty when they are terrified. Hated that ugly fish, but my wife loved it because it was the most active fish in the tank.

Dave B

Achilles Torben
01/27/2016, 12:40 AM
I have had 4 Starkii in the past 5 years. They have all kept their colors. None of them have faded to grey.

I currently have 2 and 1 is twice the size of the other one. They are usually within a few inches of each other, but the smaller one is always under a ledge or under a coral. So it's colors are not near as bright as the larger fish.

I did have what you are describing with a 'Surge Damsel'. Came across a damsel that was a beautiful Yellow with a blue bar down the middle. Grabbed it up because it was something I had never seen before. Put it in my tank and it immediately turned a charcoal grey with a light grey band down the middle. Turns out they are only pretty when they are terrified. Hated that ugly fish, but my wife loved it because it was the most active fish in the tank.

Dave B
Thanks Dave for your answer. That is curious. I start with for starki and they lost colours in a few days. Than I introduce 4 more an the same happens.

You think they lost colour in the shadow? I thought it could be a problem with the served food!?

ThRoewer
01/27/2016, 01:15 AM
Thanks Dave for your answer. That is curious. I start with for starki and they lost colours in a few days. Than I introduce 4 more an the same happens.

You think they lost colour in the shadow? I thought it could be a problem with the served food!?

What do you feed?

I have my current two in QT for quite a while now and no fading so far. I usually feed Mysis, but this tank also gets some pellets.

Achilles Torben
01/27/2016, 08:36 AM
What do you feed?

I have my current two in QT for quite a while now and no fading so far. I usually feed Mysis, but this tank also gets some pellets.
Ocean Nutrition Mysis, Artermia and krill. Also two different Pellets also Ocean Nutrition.

saf1
02/22/2016, 01:44 PM
I was searching for Starcki for a bit now but ended up picking up three Azure damselfish instead. Oddly enough they are always in a group together which isn't what I was expecting. Hovering over my row of hammer which is pretty neat looking.

They are eating Mysis (frozen), blood worms (frozen), and try the pellets I feed usually although don't seem to eat them as much. It seems meaty foods are the preferred meal. Will be adding some live black worms into the mix after next trip to the store.

GOSKN5
02/23/2016, 07:37 AM
I was searching for Starcki for a bit now but ended up picking up three Azure damselfish instead. Oddly enough they are always in a group together which isn't what I was expecting. Hovering over my row of hammer which is pretty neat looking.

They are eating Mysis (frozen), blood worms (frozen), and try the pellets I feed usually although don't seem to eat them as much. It seems meaty foods are the preferred meal. Will be adding some live black worms into the mix after next trip to the store.
What size tank are they in?

saf1
02/23/2016, 08:20 AM

40 breeder. Heavy soft coral tank. 3 rose bubble tip anemones. They are on the small side maybe one inch, inch and a half. They will be moved shortly into a 240 gallon.

Like you, I was looking for a splash of color and quick movement. I did not want to try a wrasse due to an open top. I was searching for a pair of Starcki's but they are a bit hard to find at times. Talbot's Damsels was an option, but again due to my earthy tones they wouldn't stand out as much. Plus I had some before, and while mostly mild mannered they did a number on my strombus snail population.

I'm not sure if three was the right number to buy but they eat well and play nice. About the only food they don't care for right now is pellets. I've not tried any flake. They eat blood and black worms, Mysis and brine shrimp, and picked at some frozen plankton that I added.

Dkuhlmann
02/23/2016, 10:16 AM
What about a Cherub Angel? They're reef safe for the most part Mine will only touch Pocillipora for some odd reason but nothing else, Cherubs are said to be the most "reef safe" of the dwarf angels and it's got the same color of the Starcki, only not as striking IMO. But they are very active all the time all over the place.

Blink2824
02/23/2016, 10:21 AM
My Cherub "Rafiki" was the devil. Picked at every coral in my tank, LPS, SPS. Definitely hit or miss with the Pygmy Angels

GOSKN5
02/23/2016, 11:13 AM
Yep had a cherub before and he picked at all my softies and my gorgs

Dkuhlmann
02/23/2016, 11:31 AM
I call mine A hole! He picks on most all of the fish accept my Midas Blenny and Matted File fish. I think if I had gotten him last he wouldn't be as much of his namesake

Ross33
02/24/2016, 01:32 AM
Can any of these guys be kept safely in groups in a 65g? I'm wanting to add some blue fish, but I've hard the blue reef chromis will gang up and pick each other off.

saf1
02/24/2016, 12:55 PM
Can any of these guys be kept safely in groups in a 65g? I'm wanting to add some blue fish, but I've hard the blue reef chromis will gang up and pick each other off.

Good question. Provided you have enough rock work that yield hiding spots you should be fine. Most of the damsels in the pomacentridae family are a good place to look. Asure, allens, tablots, etc. Key is just providing enough places for them to have their own home/area to hank out in and sleep.

I've also heard chromis behaving like that. I've owned the blue/green and started with 7 when I had a 100 gallon tank and ended up with 2...some have good luck, others see similar behavior with them picking off each other until one.

Leviathan_XE
02/24/2016, 03:49 PM
Any thoughts on Tracey's Damselfish (Chrysiptera traceyi)? I love the coloration.

saf1
02/24/2016, 04:05 PM
I personally don't know much about them. They are pretty though, for sure. Then are in the family that I see that are calmer but they are also relatively new it seems. I've seen a few posts by others who keep damsels and hint to similar things. Areas to hide, sleep, defend, their own territory, etc.

mastersonr
02/24/2016, 08:31 PM

Interesting. I have had 1 azure damsel for 2 years now in my 150. Love the bright blue and yellow. He is quite active and hasn't bothered anyone. He has a small cave on one side of the tank that is home. I wonder if I could add 2 more. Would they fight, hang out together or just take up residence in different areas of the tank? Any thoughts on this?

mastersonr
02/25/2016, 07:04 AM

Interesting. I have had 1 azure damsel for 2 years now in my 150. Love the bright blue and yellow. He is quite active and hasn't bothered anyone. He has a small cave on one side of the tank that is home. I wonder if I could add 2 more. Would they fight, hang out together or just take up residence in different areas of the tank? Any thoughts on this?

Sams Reef
02/25/2016, 01:02 PM
Fiji Blue Devil Damsels are extremely beautiful fish, however, they are also very aggressive. I have one and he generally stays in one area of the tank. However, any fish that enter his territory are quickly chased out. If you have plenty of hiding places and water volume you should be fine. I really like the contrast of blue and yellow.

saf1
02/25/2016, 04:10 PM
I have to say has bad of a rep Damsels get, they are some really colorful fish. The three Azures I added are really impressive and stand out to the otherwise earthy soft coral tank. That bright blue and yellow is intense.

GOSKN5
07/05/2016, 12:57 PM
I wanted to bump this.. I swapped the 74 gallon for a standard 120... still considering a damsel trio..

Any more thoughts on maybe a trio of Azures? Tank mates include: a pair of occy clowns, firefish, bangaii cardinal, orchid dottyback, chalk bass, and two masked gobies.. all small fish..

Tank is open, but has several caves overhangs and holes in the rocks etc..

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160705/a1584ff33bc8bd4489800fd5a31f16a4.jpg

dastrder
07/05/2016, 01:15 PM
springeri (blue damsel)

+1 to very mellow and have seen in groups in many tanks

saf1
07/06/2016, 03:53 PM
HI - I started with three and now have two which are a couple now. The trio was very peaceful for about a month or two. Then two of them started to shack up and hang around together leaving the other to the other half of the tank. I'm assuming it was the male of the pair, but one morning I noticed it chasing one and by next morning it was dead.

So in my case, a 40 breeder, three was probably not a great idea (soft corals abound with rose bubble tip anemone's). I don't know their sex so just got three healthy ones from the LFS. Great color. Eat very well. Do not bother any other fish. Just for whatever reason I ended up with a pair that hit it off and decided to harass the third until death. Maybe a larger tank would have been ok.

GOSKN5
07/07/2016, 06:55 AM
HI - I started with three and now have two which are a couple now. The trio was very peaceful for about a month or two. Then two of them started to shack up and hang around together leaving the other to the other half of the tank. I'm assuming it was the male of the pair, but one morning I noticed it chasing one and by next morning it was dead.

So in my case, a 40 breeder, three was probably not a great idea (soft corals abound with rose bubble tip anemone's). I don't know their sex so just got three healthy ones from the LFS. Great color. Eat very well. Do not bother any other fish. Just for whatever reason I ended up with a pair that hit it off and decided to harass the third until death. Maybe a larger tank would have been ok.
Is the Springeri or the Azures that you are referring to?

saf1
07/07/2016, 08:37 AM
Is the Springeri or the Azures that you are referring to?

Sorry - Azures.

ThRoewer
07/07/2016, 11:36 AM
I think most of the smaller damsels will be fine when kept as a pair or harem group. The hyper aggression of singles usually is a result of them not having any other outlets.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

GOSKN5
07/18/2016, 01:16 PM
Well an LFS had 4 Springeri damsels I watched em for a while.. very little bickering and in a smaller tank that my 120.. also had a few other fish in there.. no missing tails etc... so I got all 4.. I will update how they do..

Maritimer
07/18/2016, 06:15 PM
I've got a trio of azures in my 65gallon. During the day, two hang out in the left half of the tank, while the third patrols the right side. Twice now, early in the morning, I've caught two of the damsels spawning under a ledge ... on the right-hand side!

Also in the morning, and I mean _very_ early, just after blues-on, I've seen all three writhing about in a single crevice in the liverock. Pretty sure that's the bedroom for all three.

Although my azures get along great with each other, and are a lot of fun to have around, they _will_ defend what they see as "theirs" from any new additions - and some additions will take almost a week to be accepted.

~Bruce

AkoAung
07/18/2016, 07:34 PM
Have you considered Tracey's or Talbot's damsels? Talbot's have better colors in person then what I've seen online. Liveaquaria's reference pic doesn't do it justice. This is a better version of its coloration:

http://www.qualitymarine.com/Image.aspx?page=large&id=1150522. I kept one or two as the only damsels in the tank. They didn't bother any other fish. kept them in the same tank as the smaller redspot cardinals whom they didn't bother at all.

Haven't had a chance to keep Tracey's due to lack of availability in my area but it may be available in live aquaria from time to time. I suspect they'd have similar temperament.

gusmanda
07/18/2016, 09:16 PM
I would go with
(Chrysiptera cyanea

lespaul339
07/19/2016, 09:01 AM
Have you considered Tracey's or Talbot's damsels?http://www.qualitymarine.com/Image.aspx?page=large&id=1150522

Wow! That's a beautiful fish!

chytownprincess
07/21/2016, 04:59 PM
Me too. . Going to have to read, read l, read

" I need a habit that my job can support. "~Poor Nurse

GOSKN5
12/08/2016, 08:41 AM
I wanted to update this thread for anyone searching in the future..

I added 4 blue saphire damsels (Chrysiptera springeri).. one was smaller and got pushed around and ended up in the top corner of the tank hiding.. so I gave him away...

The other three have been doing great in my tank for about 3 months or so.. there is a clear larger one and two smaller ones.. the larger one gets along with them all, the two smaller ones bicker sometimes but no damage...

They pay little mind to my other fish, other than the occasional shake at my clown or orchid dottyback..

At night time they all have distinct sleeping territory that they guard but still only posturing and a brief chase.. nothing brutal...

Overall I am absolutely thrilled that I added them. The bright electric blue is amazing and they are constantly in motion... really neat fish that I would recommend with the following requirements:

Don't add just one (at least 3)
At least a 3-4 foot tank with clear territories for each damsel
Add all at once

Just my thoughts

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk