PDA

View Full Version : LRS Reef Frenzy

shaywood
01/25/2016, 08:56 PM
While visiting a local fish store I watched as staff fed some fish I was intending to purchase. I must say the fish went crazy. Even though I had a freezer full of common fish food, I asked what they were feeding. The owner mentioned they only feed LRS to there fish. He said the fish adapt to the food - even ones that are sensitive to shipping.

Even though the food seemed a bit expensive, I bought some to use at home. I've been using it for over a month now and must say I'm VERY impressed. All of my fish love this food, even new fish I've added to the tank. It's incredibly clean and all reef inhabitants seem to enjoy it.

Just my 2 cents.

Shawn

snorvich
01/25/2016, 08:58 PM
Lots of folks love it.

ca1ore
01/25/2016, 09:29 PM
LRS is part of my feeding 'rotation' but it's frankly hyperbole to suggest that fish somehow 'go crazy' for this anymore than they 'go crazy' for mysis, brine, ocean plankton .....

The most important thing is to provide a variety of foods - including pellets.

shaywood
01/25/2016, 09:48 PM
Note sure I've been accused of hyperbole before. Cool. I've fed a lot of foods over the years. Most recently I had to add garlic to entice an under eating blue tang. Most frozen mixes have also left some degree of cloudiness. LRS has been gladly accepted by the wide range of fish and corals in my system. Your mileage may vary.

Reef Frog
01/26/2016, 01:37 PM
I like it. It has just about everything you could ever need in this food.

I'm on my second package. I mistakenly left it out on the counter for about an hour or less. It didn't defrost by any means, just got a tad soft. Since then the food is extremely fine, like it was grated in a food processor, without any "chunks". It's quite a different consistency than my first package, which defrosted to an ideal size.

Now some of these fine particles go everywhere when I feed fish & corals. Some of it is uneaten which does you no favors when trying to keep nutrients down. Not sure if this is just because of the partial defrosting or this batch was prepared differently.

If my next batch is the same consistency, I'll have to abandon the product even though I really like it and believe it's the best SINGLE food commercially available to me.

deleau
01/26/2016, 01:58 PM
I use LRS for my evening feedings. I have settled on Reef Frenzy since a lot of my corals have more polyp extension in the evenings, so they may/should be getting fed as well.

I've tried all of their blends except that new Fertility Frenzy (LFS doesn't stock it), and there is a definite difference in particle size. Perhaps trying different blends will suit your needs better.

Reef Frog
01/26/2016, 02:14 PM
Hey everyone the owner of the company was kind enough to send me the following private message below. I absolutely don't want to disparage any product or company wrongfully. So just to be sure, I wanted to post our exchange.

Moral of the story. LRS Reef Frenzy is a great food. Don't be a scatter brain like me. Keep it frozen.

QUOTE=Wistler]I saw your comment on the LRS regarding thawing and re-freezing. By a process called protein denaturation the ingredients do in fact break down when thawed and then refrozen. Have you every caught a fish, and compared the texture to a fish which was frozen? Same thing basically. The food gets placed under physical "shearing" forces due to the ice crystals forming in your residential freezer. This is why when we package the food we cure it in a $4500 commercial freezer set to -25F. The faster the food cures, the less ice crystals shred the seafood ingredients so to speak. This is a much simplified explanation but I hope it helps explain why you may have experienced the change in texture. Thanks for the support. Larry DuPont, Owner LRS Foods.
(PS I dont post on Rc often but someone told me about the thread so I wanted to follow along. :) )[/QUOTE]

Hey Larry I love your food, and thanks a million for the reply. It makes perfect sense & yes I'm aware of the phenomena you describe first hand.

So yes my issue is apparently 100% my error, and not the fault of your product. Hopefully my post was clear on the possibility. I in no way want to cast your product in a negative light due to my error.

For that reason, can I post your message to the thread? Please respond ASAP. THANKS AGAIN.

d2mini
01/26/2016, 02:34 PM
LRS is pretty much all i've fed for years now.
It's got pretty much all the variety you need. The only other things I feed are Nori for my tangs, I'll add oyster feast to the LRS a couple times a week, and once in a blue I'll spot feed some Reef Chili.

Newstead
01/26/2016, 02:47 PM
I am on my first package of the Reef Frenzy Nano. I have been feeding mysis soaked in Selcon and NLS pellets. I have to agree with the OP - my clowns, goby and sun coral go crazy for this stuff. It truly induces a "frenzy" response! Also, with all the different ingredients, I feel it is a great addition for different nutrients.

amcvay1979
01/26/2016, 04:11 PM
I've wanted to try LRS food by my LFS stopped carrying it because nobody bought it, which around here wouldn't surprise me.

I feed nothing but Rod's orginal and add some ocean plankton and rods fish eggs every now and again. I've heard LRS is basically the same thing but cleaner. Anyone have a comparison of Rods vs LRS?

srpntmage
01/26/2016, 04:13 PM
I like LRS and my fish seem to like it also. I use the nano blend, since most of my fish are pretty small. I also feed it to my acans, duncan, candy cane and hammer corals. They seem to dig it.

d2mini
01/27/2016, 09:17 AM
I've wanted to try LRS food by my LFS stopped carrying it because nobody bought it, which around here wouldn't surprise me.

I feed nothing but Rod's orginal and add some ocean plankton and rods fish eggs every now and again. I've heard LRS is basically the same thing but cleaner. Anyone have a comparison of Rods vs LRS?

I used to use Rod's and the LRS is definitely cleaner. Sometimes I would mix in a little rods just to have more micro particles for the coral, but I haven't done that in a while. The Rods sends out a cloud of food particles, much of which is missed by the fish. The LFS is chunkier/cleaner.

I'm pretty sure that if you don't have an LFS within a certain radius from you that carries it, Larry will sell to you direct.

slief
01/27/2016, 09:44 AM
Like others, I use LRS and swear by it. I have tried a number of frozen foods and LRS is definitely the cleanest and ends up with more food for the fish and less wasted in the water column. My fish love it too and they get fed it every night. I use Reef Frenzy, Herbivore Frenzy and Fish Frenzy and try to mix it up every few days so my fish get a better variety.

Dmorty217
01/27/2016, 09:53 AM
LRS is part of my feeding 'rotation' but it's frankly hyperbole to suggest that fish somehow 'go crazy' for this anymore than they 'go crazy' for mysis, brine, ocean plankton .....

The most important thing is to provide a variety of foods - including pellets.

+1 LRF is way too expensive for the little amount of food you get. IMO your money is much better spent going to the local seafood market and picking up some fresh seafood, putting it in a food processor and making your own food. Way more food for the same money and my fish go just as "crazy" over the stuff I make. Also when your fish get hooked on LRF then you become a slave to buying 20$ packs of food all the time.

d2mini
01/27/2016, 10:26 AM
+1 LRF is way too expensive for the little amount of food you get. IMO your money is much better spent going to the local seafood market and picking up some fresh seafood, putting it in a food processor and making your own food. Way more food for the same money and my fish go just as "crazy" over the stuff I make. Also when your fish get hooked on LRF then you become a slave to buying 20$ packs of food all the time.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion and it's great that we have such a variety of foods available to choose what works best for us and our tank inhabitants, but I have to disagree on the expense. Obviously it costs more than making your own, people have been doing just that for decades. But you are paying for convenience with companies like Rods, Rogers, and LRS. I for one would NEVER make my own. First, seafood makes me want to yak. Second, it's way too much trouble and time consuming. For my 200g tank, I was buying a pack of LRS mayyyybe once a month? I don't really know. It was so infrequent the timing didn't even register. I have one of the little nano packs of LRS that I use for my 25g nano at the office which I've been using for months and i'm maybe half way through it.

So I would say for the average tank, any extra expense is by far worth it. Especially knowing how fresh and clean of a food it is. And compared to the other brands, LRS's pricing is right in line.

Larry is also very involved in the hobby and the other forum. He's always posting pics and vids of his ever growing facility and processes and research. I like an operation that has nothing to hide, and seeing a fellow hobbyist provide not only an outstanding product, but working with industry professionals to constantly improve and innovate. :beer:

Daniel62
01/27/2016, 02:21 PM
If you find this type of food expensive in this, hobby, welllllll. just saying :) lol and yes I like the convince, also I have made my own food as well. And what I might have saved in money, I traded for it in time and mess. I hate doing dishes!!!!!! but to each his own.

BrandonFlorida
01/27/2016, 02:45 PM
I have a rotation of pellets, flakes, Mysis and LRS Reef frenzy.. Works so far for me..

Dmorty217
01/27/2016, 02:50 PM
Everyone is welcome to their opinion and it's great that we have such a variety of foods available to choose what works best for us and our tank inhabitants, but I have to disagree on the expense. Obviously it costs more than making your own, people have been doing just that for decades. But you are paying for convenience with companies like Rods, Rogers, and LRS. I for one would NEVER make my own. First, seafood makes me want to yak. Second, it's way too much trouble and time consuming. For my 200g tank, I was buying a pack of LRS mayyyybe once a month? I don't really know. It was so infrequent the timing didn't even register. I have one of the little nano packs of LRS that I use for my 25g nano at the office which I've been using for months and i'm maybe half way through it.

So I would say for the average tank, any extra expense is by far worth it. Especially knowing how fresh and clean of a food it is. And compared to the other brands, LRS's pricing is right in line.

Larry is also very involved in the hobby and the other forum. He's always posting pics and vids of his ever growing facility and processes and research. I like an operation that has nothing to hide, and seeing a fellow hobbyist provide not only an outstanding product, but working with industry professionals to constantly improve and innovate. :beer:

To each their own. It takes me all of a hr to make food and I'm making 20 lbs of it for what 5 packs of larrys would cost me. It also lasts me 6 months. I fed off half a flat of LRF to 3 fish in 1 weeks time. When my tank is stocked I'm not sure if a flat would even last a full week. I'm not suggesting his food isn't high quality or that he isn't knowledgeable or passionate about the hobby. We have him to thank for the CB personatus being conceived since the male didn't want to eat anything in Karen's tank until she tried Larrys.

Scorpius
01/27/2016, 02:55 PM
I feed my tank a slurry of LRS, Rods food, Cyclopeeze, Selecon and whatever I have on hand. Everything eats it.

iced98lx
01/27/2016, 03:07 PM
I rather like Larry's food. I think it's high quality and consistent and my primary frozen food. Our local club used to get together and make food, but it wasn't as consistent and ended up being a bit of a slurry when it was done. Fish always seemed to appreciate it just fine though and the price was good.

shermanator
01/27/2016, 03:10 PM
Good stuff, but I wish I could order it online... I despise my closest LFS. I rather like the one further away, but it's hard to drive 90 mins for routine stuff like food... As a result, I often feed Rod's (and Reef Nutrition).

bryanr
01/27/2016, 03:39 PM
I love all the products by Larry, especially the chunky for my puffer and triggers. BTW you can order it from Premium Aquatics. I saw it on there the other day.

Drmojo
01/27/2016, 08:29 PM
I started using Larry's a month ago. I alternate between it and pellets and don't plan on using anything else. It's very clean and the fish absolutely love it.

rburch203
01/27/2016, 08:52 PM
I wonder how long the defrost takes before it "harms" the food.. My LFS dosent have the small bag so I buy the big one and cut it in half. i put half in my deep freezer till i need it. the other usually stays out for a little while i cut it into smaller cubes. i then bag it so i can just pull out 2-3 small chucks at a time for feeding. during the cutting process I feel like it starts to defrost a bit.. do you think this is harming the food?

shaywood
01/27/2016, 10:32 PM
I keep a large bag in the freezer. Every few days I break off a small chunk and thaw it in a small glass of RODI water. I keep this in the frig and pour a small amount into the tank twice a day. Works great.

rburch203
01/27/2016, 10:55 PM
I keep a large bag in the freezer. Every few days I break off a small chunk and thaw it in a small glass of RODI water. I keep this in the frig and pour a small amount into the tank twice a day. Works great.

How long do you keep it in your fridge and in what container? sounds ideal to me but I also don't need the wife after me for fish food laying around everywhere.

Scorpius
01/27/2016, 11:10 PM
How long do you keep it in your fridge and in what container? sounds ideal to me but I also don't need the wife after me for fish food laying around everywhere.

I get rid of mine when it starts to smell rotten. :lol:

rburch203
01/27/2016, 11:24 PM
I get rid of mine when it starts to smell rotten. :lol:

How long on average? a week? more? less?

hbrochs
01/28/2016, 09:20 AM
I've been using Rod's, and just got a bag of LRF, and I really like it. Rod's regular blend has some really big chunks of shrimp that's just too big for most of my fish.
Larry's is def cleaner.

d2mini
01/28/2016, 09:26 AM

I use a plastic dixie cup. Its only in there for 2-3 days max before its used up. Usually just a day or two.

soulpatch
01/28/2016, 10:39 AM
This is why I bought a mini fridge for my basement where the tanks are. It sits in the room and holds all of my fish food (in freezer section of course), seaweed, coral smoothies, and such in the fridge along with my beer and cokes for my rum and cokes.

I can leave a cup defrost in there without issue from the wife. It is my fridge which is awesome.

Honestly it is one of the better purchases I have made not for the tank but for my marriage. HA HA

On topic I feed LRS reef every few nights on my nano and it will be the main staple for the big tank. I do have a blender and such to make my own food but everytime I think about doing it I get pulled away by the wife or daughter to do something else. While I would like the cost savings I dont mind the small increase in cost to just buy this awesome food.

BlackTip
01/28/2016, 10:50 AM
I use Reef Frenzy and PE Mysis. My fish don't eat pellets. And, half of them don't touch flakes. I've never target fed my corals, and they seem healthy and grown.

There are very small pieces that the fish don't go after.

It is true that if I feed reef frenzy I am feeding the corals as well?

d2mini
01/28/2016, 11:04 AM

Somewhat, but by feeding your fish they are pooping which is feeding the coral. ;)

slief
01/28/2016, 11:50 AM

I would have to say yes. Reef Frenzy contains smaller particles of food that the fish won't always get and the corals will eat. This is in addition to the fish poop that D2mini noted. When I feed Reef Frenzy, I notice my corals polyps extending for food so I know they are getting food but it also depends on how much food you are putting in the water. I never directly feed my corals ever and their only source of food in my tank is what goes in for the fish.

slief
01/28/2016, 12:24 PM
There are very small pieces that the fish don't go after.

Reef Frenzy has rotifers, oyster eggs as well as other micro food that corals will feed on when they get mixed into the water column. That probably accounts for some of the small particles you are seeing.

BlackTip
01/28/2016, 12:25 PM
^^^ Thanks guys

mvallee_ma
01/30/2016, 04:37 PM
Reef Frenzy is awesome stuff, once I started feeding it I have not gone back to frozen cubes, and I do not feel guilty not rinsing like I did with cubes