PDA

View Full Version : Are these fish compatible and what order should i put them in my tank?

Peanutbutter
01/26/2016, 12:48 PM
so I just turned my 150 gallon cichlid tank into a saltwater tank and id like to make it a live reef tank. some info of my tank
its 6ftx18inx27in (I think)
I have a 2in pvc overflow that leads to a sump that's roughly 3 and a half feet long and I think it was 16 or 17 or 18 inches wide I cant remember
I added 3 bags of the cheap marine sand and mixed it with 1 bag of live sand. I also have a emperor 400 HOB filter that I decided to run because why not lol.
I have a pump in the sump that's rated to put out 2200gph if I am remembering correctly.

I understand I cant add everything in right away but any advice will help thanks.
my tanks gravity was 1.024 or 1.025it kept bouncing between should I lower or raise the salinity or keep it the same?

so far I have a firefish and 6 hermit crabs and 3 snails and 1 emerald crab.
so far I want

2 occelaris clownfish
1 blue tang
1 yellow tang
1 yellow wrasse
1 royal gramma

I also want my tank to be reef safe because I would like to get some corals and a anemone for the clowns. I have 2 3 foot Current Led lights, im not sure if that's good enough for the corals

also any other suggestions of what kind of fish I can or should get would be nice

id like a big "showfish" in the tank like a rock beauty angel but im not sure if they'd play nice with what I currently want.

id also like a nice purple fish besides the royal gramma any ideas?

and what kind of corals would be the best for a beginner like myself to get?

brett559
01/26/2016, 01:08 PM
I say yes. I had those exact fish (except a melanarus instead of a yellow wrasse) in my 90g with no problems at all. 6 foot tank should be okay for even a blue tang I would think.

I would definitely get an angel as well: Regal, bi-color, flame - all good choices.

Dmorty217
01/26/2016, 01:18 PM
You say "blue" tang, do you mean a hippo or a Atlantic blue?

scooter31707
01/26/2016, 02:12 PM
I guessing the OP is thinking Hippo. If so, then recommendation will be to take the Hippo off your list. They require a bigger tank and no large angels. You could do 1 or 2 Dwarf Angels. Remember you said you want a reef tank, so angels are a threat to nip at corals. You can look at some of the smaller Hawkfish, Bluethroat Trigger, Reef-Safe Wrasses, or Blennies/Gobies. 1.024- 1.025 is ok with just the fish, but once you start putting coral in, try to stay at 1.025 or 1026.