PDA

View Full Version : Slow Leak in Sump

RayAllen3422
01/28/2016, 07:36 PM
So I built a sump out of a used 75 gallon tank and I think there may be a leak in the bottom trim. I noticed some salt creep built up so I wiped it away and it appears to be coming back. I'm not sure how much water could have gotten down there or if it's a leak. I cleaned it and wiped it away again so we will see. Not sure what to do. So frustrating.

heathlindner25
01/28/2016, 08:08 PM
Been around since 2008... I think you know what to do...lol

RayAllen3422
01/28/2016, 08:19 PM
Been around since 2008... I think you know what to do...lol

Thanks that is helpful.

CStrickland
01/28/2016, 08:34 PM
I have a corner of my tank where the salt creep shows. Turns out every time I get in there to feed or whatev the drips that hit the top trim were running along it and then down the corner edge. It was just enough out of level to allow that but not enough to affect everything else. I guess water drips kinda pull each other along with surface tension.

Can you lay some paper towels around over night, like along the edges etc. to find out if it's traveling there? I taped them to the glass with the edge on the trim.

RayAllen3422
01/28/2016, 08:58 PM
That's what I am doing right now. It looks like a slight leak under the trim.

CStrickland
01/28/2016, 09:20 PM
That sucks.
Do you have valves and such placed in a way that you can just cut the flow to the sump?
If it was me I'd prolly try to drain the sump and get the 75g tank out onto a table in the garage or something where the light is good and have a proper look at it. If you move the heaters into the DT, the tank should be fine without a skimmer/reactors for a day or five until you can suss out the issue. There's a good chance the leak will stay slow for years, and a slim one that it won't. Depends on your risk aversion, I guess.

Good luck!

RayAllen3422
01/28/2016, 09:31 PM
That sucks.
Do you have valves and such placed in a way that you can just cut the flow to the sump?
If it was me I'd prolly try to drain the sump and get the 75g tank out onto a table in the garage or something where the light is good and have a proper look at it. If you move the heaters into the DT, the tank should be fine without a skimmer/reactors for a day or five until you can suss out the issue. There's a good chance the leak will stay slow for years, and a slim one that it won't. Depends on your risk aversion, I guess.

Good luck!

I ordered a new tank and am just going to cut out my baffles and resilicone the glass baffles this weekend. If by that point it doesn't look like a leak I will just return the tank but I have a game plan for now. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for the input. Sometimes you just gotta vent on here.

ca1ore
01/28/2016, 10:07 PM
Salt creep up from the bottom trim is usually just water that was spilled down the outside of the tank. If its really a leak, you'll see dripping/pooling.

RayAllen3422
01/28/2016, 10:13 PM
Salt creep up from the bottom trim is usually just water that was spilled down the outside of the tank. If its really a leak, you'll see dripping/pooling.

Yeah. That's what I thought initially. But I have cleaned it up multiple times and it keeps coming back. I have been careful not to get any saltwater near it. I dried it again and will see in the morning. I took fresh water and cleaned it up really well and dried it out as much as possible. The salt creep keeps coming back. I wish it wasn't but all signs point to a leak.

ca1ore
01/28/2016, 10:15 PM
It will keep coming back for a while. It's quite amazing how much creep can come form such a small amount of water. It certainly may be a leak, but I'd wager not. Try to wick the water out from behind the trim with a paper towel.

RayAllen3422
01/29/2016, 08:32 AM
It will keep coming back for a while. It's quite amazing how much creep can come form such a small amount of water. It certainly may be a leak, but I'd wager not. Try to wick the water out from behind the trim with a paper towel.

Last night I was 99% sure it was a leak. This morning about 50%. I'm trying to soak all the moisture out with a paper towel while I'm at work and then I'll check again in the morning.

If this makes sense I can see on the inside of the tank where the moisture is and that area is shrinking over time which makes me think it isn't a leak.

Mrramsey
01/29/2016, 05:55 PM
BTW how's the heater issue?

RayAllen3422
01/29/2016, 07:55 PM
BTW how's the heater issue?

Called Eheim and they basically said they both are broken but asked me to try something else for 24 hours. Tank won't get warmer than 75 and they said one should be sufficient.

RayAllen3422
01/29/2016, 07:57 PM

Big thanks ca1ore. I'm pretty convinced there is no leak now. Gave me a good scare. Thanks for talking me off the ledge.