PDA

View Full Version : 40B at 7 months

nmotz
01/28/2016, 10:55 PM
Decided to show some of the changes I've made to the tank along with a nice video pre-molt. Sorry the color is weird, lighting is way further towards the blue end of the spectrum with my new LED unit. Enjoy!

First pic is of the new skimmer, Reef Octopus BH 1000. Last picture is of the new light, AI Prime, and the top of the tank. Couple other random tank shots.

nmotz
01/28/2016, 10:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AGDdT-yQHE

Here's the video, didn't come out super well because of the lighting, but still a good performance from Neptune!

nmotz
01/28/2016, 11:07 PM
I also removed my two koralia pumps in favor of a single mp40. Man that thing has some power! Running it on reefcrest mode at about 2000GPH max.

Last one is an FTS, yes, I know, I need another light. Working on it! You can also see the dark skimmate that the RO BH-1000 gets out of the tank. All that junk is post molt nastiness that it drew out of the water.

Optic
01/29/2016, 07:13 PM
How are you finding it after fitting a skimmer? Is it necessary to have one?

nmotz
01/29/2016, 10:34 PM
Necessary may not be the right word. The tank is better off with a skimmer, that much is certain. Whether or not my Peacock would have lived as long/been as healthy with a simple HOB filter is unknown. In my opinion, for a Peacock tank, having a skimmer is really important. Tanks with different species of mantis shrimp definitely don't need them. The risk of shell rot is just too great with Peacocks and high nitrates bother them more than the other hobby-available species.

Optic
01/30/2016, 07:47 PM
I'm thinking about running a canister filter on my tank... As I don't like the look of hob stuff...I don't have the room to play with on 2ft tank. Yours looks great though. What would be your advice on this? Good bad?

nmotz
01/30/2016, 11:53 PM
Canister filters are a good option in that they provide media baskets for chemical filtration (carbon) and they do look cleaner on the tank itself. Still, anything with filter pads or floss is going to become a source for nitrates. If you were willing to clean it out often I think a canister filter would work just fine.

I do know that Dr. Caldwell, a marine biologist from Cal Berkley, used canister filters on many of his tanks. In fact, I'm not certain he used protein skimmers at all. I would ask him, but he doesn't participate in the forum anymore.

I think I would rank some filtration options as follows: #1 sump w/macro refugium, skimmer rated for 2x tank volume. #2 HOB skimmer + HOB refugium. #3 canister filter. #4 HOB filter box. But people have succeeded in one form or fashion with any combo of these 4 options. There's a good video on YouTube of a guy who used a canister filter and an HOB refugium on a simple reef tank, and his Peacock lived a couple years.

Optic
01/31/2016, 05:55 PM
Have you got a link for that video?

nmotz
01/31/2016, 10:48 PM
Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r_W68apaTI&index=23&list=LLq40YvvHHMo0nl4-e7YMqCQ

Probably a little more clutter on his tank than you're looking for, but it worked for him.