PDA

View Full Version : ? for folks with their reactor sitting next to their sump.

Crush Coral
01/29/2016, 12:08 PM
I am installing a sump under my 75. I currently have the reactor mounter inside the stand at the top back. I have to move it for the sump and install it somewhere else. If you have your reactor standing next to your sump how do you service it? Mine is a single BRS reactor. How do you unscrew the canister with the top not mounted to something? :rolleye1:

Crush Coral
01/29/2016, 03:05 PM
Bump?

BFG
01/29/2016, 03:40 PM
Quick release valve? That is if you are connecting it with hoses though.

Reef Bass
01/29/2016, 06:22 PM
My BRS 2 stage reactor sits next to my sump not attached to anything. To unscrew a canister, I hold the top and use a canister wrench (slides around canister from bottom, has teeth that stop against ridges in canister) to loosen and then just spin it off.

kukulkan
01/29/2016, 07:20 PM
I'm planing on getting one myself, and don't know much about them, I thought they go inside the sump, can they go inside?

Reef Bass
01/29/2016, 08:41 PM
Yeah, you could put it in the sump, but there's no need to. A reactor typically has an input line from a pump submerged in the sump, and then a discharge line back to the sump. It's not like a protein skimmer which typically requires being in a sump to draw and discharge water directly from the sump.

Personally I prefer my reactor outside the sump. Between protein skimmer, heaters, baffles, controller probes, return pump, reactor pump and chiller pump, space in my sump is limited, and it's a 30 long with 36x12 footprint.

Crush Coral
01/29/2016, 11:06 PM
I was able to unscrew my canister with it no longer mounted in my stand. I bit more of a hassle to do so though. I did get my eshopps 2nd Gen r100 sump under my tank tonight. Now to plumb the lifereef overflow box and return pump and I will have a sump for the first time in 10 years of reefing. Gha made me do it.