PDA

View Full Version : New mated pair Zebra Angelfish

SS_Sean
01/30/2016, 07:47 AM
I picked up a mated pair of Zebra Angelfish today from the LFS. The store has had them in for about four months. Obviously the price was a little scary, so they sat for a long time. It was good though since they survived the retail fish tanks, and then were moved to the stores reef tanks. Obviously disease free, and eating well.

I searched and there is almost no information on them here. I did a little of my own prior to purchase and verified they are one of only a few true reef safe angels, but other than that there isn't much out there.

How rare or uncommon I guess I should say are these fish? Can anyone share some experiences? As I QT these two I'll have to track and remove an aggressive sailfin and yellow, and will swap out for a more peaceful yellow I have.

Here they are in QT. The female is on the far right, turning....

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/sssean39/Aquarium%20Life/IMG_20160129_183042_zpskqrgdlaf.jpg (http://s160.photobucket.com/user/sssean39/media/Aquarium%20Life/IMG_20160129_183042_zpskqrgdlaf.jpg.html)

vhuang168
01/30/2016, 08:32 AM
Called Spotbreast or Japanese Lyretail. Genicanthus Melanospilos

They are readily available. 1 lfs has 4 pairs and a few other solo females. Local Petco has a female.

How much did you pay for them? Local they are $120 for a pair.

BlueMac92
01/30/2016, 08:53 AM
Called Spotbreast or Japanese Lyretail. Genicanthus Melanospilos

Yes. I think you'll have more luck looking for them under spotbreasted or their scientific name. If you're searching zebra angelfish, you're most likely going to find G. caudovittatus, which is less common.

I don't see many retail stores around me carrying them, although they are quite common on wholesale stock lists. Never for $120 a pair though, that's a great deal..

nice pick up!

albano
01/30/2016, 09:23 AM
I have a trio with multiple tangs including sailfin and yellow without problems...but if yours are aggressive you may have a problem.
They seem to be readily available in my area...probably $100-150 for nice size males, $50-75 for females... Be advised that adding a larger or more dominate genicanthus male could cause your male to revert to female coloring

SS_Sean
01/30/2016, 09:30 AM
Thanks. Good advice. I live in the mountains in a small town so it's always hard to judge what's going on in the hobby out in the big wide world. I picked these up for $220 for a pair, which is a dang good price considering what they're asking for on LA. The male is about 4.5" long and the female about 3.5" long. I was comfortable with the price considering the pair had survived collection/shipment, and were disease free for four months. In other words, they're large, healthy and paired. As for the $120 price, I wish I lived in an urban center, my tanks would be rockin! :p

humaguy
01/30/2016, 12:52 PM
and probably not truly a "mated pair."
great fish, nonetheless...

cFloor
01/30/2016, 01:34 PM
Excellent pickup! These are wonderful fish. They are not rare, but that doesn't matter as they make a beautiful and active addition to a reef tank. I have a pair of G. caudovittatus which are similar and they are some of my favorite fish I've owned. Best of luck with them!

SS_Sean
01/30/2016, 01:37 PM
and probably not truly a "mated pair."
great fish, nonetheless...

Are they having unprotected sex? I didnt ask and they arent telling. However, im sure you know what i meant. ;)