PDA

View Full Version : I need a replacement pump for my Reef Octopus SRO-2000

cody6766
01/30/2016, 02:25 PM
It seems that the wire is no longer sealed and water is leaking into the power end. I found a direct replacement pump for about $250, but that seems a little steep. I'm looking to either replace the pump or the whole skimmer, depending on cost/reward.

The SRO-2000 is almost too big for my sump space as it is. The pump is really the issue, as it's almost as wide as the chamber. The body isn't an issue, but anything bigger would be.

This is going into the sump, under a 120g tank. For the time being, it's going to be a grow out tank/frag tank, so bioload will be low. When I move back to OK, it will become my main tank again, so I don't want to find a quick fix, knowing I'll have to spend the money later.

cody6766
01/31/2016, 12:56 PM
ttt

Buzz1329
01/31/2016, 06:11 PM
Hi cody6766,

Sorry to hear your pump died.

Are you within the 2 year warranty coverage for the Bubble Blaster 2000? If so, I'd contact Jeremy on the CoralVue forum, and he can get you a replacement for free (after they check to see if it can be repaired). If you're beyond the 2 years and the skimmer has worked well for you, I'd go for a $225 replacement Bubble Blaster 2000. If the dead pump fit in your sump, why wouldn't a replacement fit too? Plus (again assuming that you have been satisfied with the SRO2000's performance), I think you would be hard pressed to find a better skimmer for less than $225.

Good luck,

Mike

cody6766
01/31/2016, 11:37 PM
I got the skimmer used about 2 years ago, so it has to be well expired by now. As for the performance, it's been satisfactory. I'm not thrilled with it, but it works really well when it's not being temperamental. If the water level is perfect and the valve is set JUST right, it works really well. If not, it's either violently overflowing or not pushing bubbles through the neck. The body and pump also take up a lot of space and can be pretty loud since they often touch the sides. I think the sump is a 40br, or similar, and the skimmer/return chamber is in the middle. This has to share a space with the return pump (OR2500...not too big) that's about as wide as the skimmer's pump turned sideways. It has a little clearance, so it's not a problem, but more space is always nice.

I certainly don't hate it, despite how picky it is. I ran it in my living room for a couple of years, so it's not all that bad. It just takes more messing with than I'd expect for $400'ish. I got mine with a used tank purchase, almost for free considering the overall price, so I'm not mad at it at all. I'm definitely not set on a replacement, but I'm not going to keep it if there's a skimmer for $2-300 that works as well as this one. Basically, I'm not committed either way. It's good enough to stay, but not so good it can't be replaced.

Buzz1329
02/01/2016, 06:58 PM
Makes sense. Good luck finding a replacement skimmer.

Reel North
02/01/2016, 11:23 PM
Just buy a lifereef and be done with skimmers. I love mine

WaReefer458
02/02/2016, 03:44 AM
I had an sro3000 that my girlfriend dropped and broke the acrylic neck on the skimmer. I'm at a loss with it but I'd be willing to sell you the pump off it if your interested. Not sure if the skimmer is fixable or not but I'm not using it anyways

wildman926
02/02/2016, 10:13 AM
Cody, PM sent