PDA

View Full Version : New Sighting Months Later!

SunfishFun
01/30/2016, 02:08 PM
Check this out - got amazing TBS liverock for a science classroom tank last April. Just a week ago look what appeared on the sandbed, obviously from the rock - some kind of shellfish. Oyster? Can't see its shell at all. Super cool! My students love it but keep thinking it has a huge mouth that will eat our fish or shrimp instead of siphoning water.
When our new camera comes in I will try to show the cool little cup corals and their colorful polyps. Maybe we can get a shot of them eating rotifers.
-Maureen

liverock
01/30/2016, 05:20 PM
Amazing...good job keeping your tank happy!
That is a jewel box clam.....usually adhered to a rock....but may have been in the sand...as this is real live sand..full of critters.....good job keeping him happy!

Sea ya
Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

SunfishFun
01/30/2016, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the ID! I suspect it was in the rock but got moved by our MANY urchins. Love them but will have to adopt some out. When we reaquascape should I place it in a nook between rocks? Want to keep it happy.

liverock
01/31/2016, 05:42 AM
Thanks for the ID! I suspect it was in the rock but got moved by our MANY urchins. Love them but will have to adopt some out. When we reaquascape should I place it in a nook between rocks? Want to keep it happy.

You can do that...just make sure he has room to open and siphon ...and may reattach also...

sea ya
Richard TBS