PDA

View Full Version : Breeding burgia nudibranch?

xxkenny90xx
01/30/2016, 10:51 PM
Just wondering if anyone has done this successfully? I picked up 5 of them today all about 1/2" to 3/4" long. I'm thinking I'll breed them separately from my dt so my swarms of amphipods don't eat the eggs. Currently I have them in a clear Tupperware container wedged between my lid and side of tank. It is half submerged so it'll stay warm. I'm thinking I'll toss in an aiptasia every other day and add tank water to make up for evaporation. Is this a good way to breed them? My other thought is to buy a 10g tank and a small heater for them? I'm also wondering at what point do I add each burgia to my tank??

TimeConsumer
01/30/2016, 11:41 PM
Here is a record of someone's Berghia breedingf setup: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/11/breeder

Not sure how well it will scale downward, but it's a start.

I'm not sure what you mean by your last question. Are you breeding for enterprise/entertainment or are you actually trying to rid an infestation? If so, I would just put them in, I had lots of amphipods when I did the berghia method and didn't have any problems with the nudis multiplying.

xxkenny90xx
01/31/2016, 12:13 AM
I'm breeding to take care of an infestation. I was told that I would have the best chance at getting large numbers of burgia if I bred them in a predator free environment so that's what I'm trying to do. I'll admit I was hoping to just add them to my tank but these guys are expensive and I want to give them the best possible chance to thrive. I appreciate your input and I'll check out the link!

TimeConsumer
01/31/2016, 12:26 AM
I see, they are expensive and I understand the hesitance. I also was nervous about the amphipods.

However I think the main concern with amphipods is for breeding systems, not full reef tanks. In a full reef tank the pods have other things to eat, and have to worry about being eaten themselves. In a breeding setup a pod can be devastating as it has no predators and not much to eat besides the eggs. A bigger worry for the berghia population is a fish that eats them like wrasses.

But establishing a larger colony for greater success can't hurt, assuming you do it right. Keep in mind curing an infestation can take a long time. From the introduction of 10 berghias into my 75g tank to the end of the infestation took 11 weeks when I did it.