PDA

View Full Version : does it matter how high you fill your carbon/gfo reactors?

johnfallon135
01/31/2016, 02:18 PM
my friend told me it should only be half way max is this true or it doesn't matter?

TimeConsumer
01/31/2016, 02:51 PM
No it is not true. But it may be wasteful to fill them entirely depending on the size of your tank.

Steve Atkins
01/31/2016, 02:53 PM
Assuming you are talking about a reactor where water is pumped in from the bottom with the intention of tumbling the media. If you fill it too high when it is not running there will not be enough room for the media to lift and tumble freely when you turn the pump on. A good rule of thumb might be that the media (other than the stubborn bits that take it upon themselves to float) does not ever reach closer than 3 cm from the top of the reactor when the pump is on.

Steve

billdogg
01/31/2016, 03:44 PM
I agree that GFO needs room to tumble. On the other hand, I run my carbon in reverse flow so that the water comes in the top and is forced through to the bottom precisely to prevent it's movement and to prevent it from grinding itself up into dust, so I fill it to the top on both systems. (~130g TWV and ~ 270g TWV)

johnfallon135
01/31/2016, 04:39 PM
I agree that GFO needs room to tumble. On the other hand, I run my carbon in reverse flow so that the water comes in the top and is forced through to the bottom precisely to prevent it's movement and to prevent it from grinding itself up into dust, so I fill it to the top on both systems. (~130g TWV and ~ 270g TWV)

isn't upflow better? otherwise what's the point in a reactor? just for flow?

Buzz1329
01/31/2016, 05:56 PM
Putting aside the tumbling issue, the more media you cram into the reactor, the less flow you get. And -- depending on pump and reactor and how often you replace media and clean reactor -- you may burn out pump once reactor/media absorbs enough crud. So I'd recommend not filling reactor more than 50% full of media.

Mike

Flippers4pups
01/31/2016, 06:16 PM
I run 2 cups of GAC in my tlf phosban reactor, following 1/2 cup per 50 gals. No where near full capacity. Works well. GAC is packed tightly to keep it from tumbling and grinding.