PDA

View Full Version : white Film inside tank

Bronxreef
01/31/2016, 03:45 PM
What is this growing inside my tank's front glass? its like a cloud really noticeable when looking up to the tank. Got a scrapper and scrub and nothing i cant seem to scrape it off, im on my first week of cycling my tank, 40g bowfront, 50lb LR(they had been out of water for about 4 weeks got them cheap, i cleaned and dipped them in RODI for a few days), 30/10lb of dry sand, Livesand,pH 8.2, Ammonia went from 1.0 to .25 ppm, Nitrite from 0 to 1.0 ppm and Nitrate from 0 to .40

flamingdragon
01/31/2016, 03:49 PM
can you post an image?

cloak
01/31/2016, 03:49 PM
Are you sure it's not the water itself that's cloudy and not the glass? If it's on the glass it should come right off with a razor blade. If not, then it's probably just a bacterial bloom. This is actually quite common for new tanks. GL.

Bronxreef
01/31/2016, 03:51 PM
had to edit them idk why my iphone pics are posted vertically.

cymen
01/31/2016, 04:34 PM
I had this when I added my CaribSea fuji pink sand. It was like a dust storm for a couple of days. It cleared up just fine. It's probably something similar and it'll go away after a couple of days.

Bronxreef
01/31/2016, 05:04 PM
is not on the water, the dust settled by the 3rd day, its only on that glass idk if it had to do with my powerhead (koralis 600gph) i noticed it one day after switching it to the back corner facing the front glass on a angle, just wanted to see the water flow facing it that way.

i did add 30lb of carribsea dry sand and 10lb of carribsea live sand.

jminick2
01/31/2016, 06:23 PM
bacteria maybe

Bronxreef
02/03/2016, 09:09 AM
so its been about 4 days and still the stains are there, they almost look like water stains but will those show if the tank is full? its also making the small unnoticeable scratches more visible now before you had to really look in order to see them, im really considering switching the tank and maybe get 55g instead, but dont wanna jump ship just yet its been about week and 1/2 of cycle my ammonia is now around .10ppm and nitrite are also going down Nitrate are wayyyy up.

Kava
02/03/2016, 10:05 AM
You just need to be patient.

Its going to look a whole lot worse before it gets better. Its just how it goes.

Nitrites are going down because your cycling, that is also why nitrates are going up. Its all just part of the process.

Bronxreef
02/16/2016, 08:54 AM
Thank you all for the replies, as i feared the tank was damaged(my sis now has a great looking turtle tank!)... i wanted to have at least 6-7 fishes in the tank fairly small my biggest will be potters or flame angels, after much consideration with space ended up switching it to a 75g/30g fuge added 40lb extra of livesand and will be in the look out for about 40-50 more lbs of liverock. pics coming soon :-)