PDA

View Full Version : ammonia help please

spsrookie
01/31/2016, 11:38 PM
So i picked up a mature, running tank friday afternoon, and had it set up friday night.

I did everything in my power and knowledge to keep the life inside alive. I kept all the rock wet, I threw out the old sand, and placed in new dry sand, and kept about 15 percent of the old water to place in.

It was in the mid twenties outside, so I am sure my temps dropped from 78 to 70 or so during the move. Nothing more I could do other than wait til spring.

It has been 48 hours since I had everything running and fish, coral in, and tonight when I tested with API ammonia liquid test, it read .25.

The fish seem fine, no gasping, laboring, etc, and the corals, which include a rose bubbletip aneneome, xenia, leathers and musrooms, look fine.

Heck, even the coral bandit and blood shrimp, along with misc. clean up crew are active.

Would you be alarmed, or would you assume if the livestock is fine, the test in giving me a false positive?

BrokenSpoke
02/01/2016, 12:07 AM
There are many, many, threads on here about the API kits reading .25 for ammonia when the ammonia is really zero. I'd keep an eye on everything but most likely it's a false positive.

Dkuhlmann
02/01/2016, 03:13 AM
I agree with Broken Spoke, it seems to be the norm rather than the exception

Marchillo
02/01/2016, 04:03 AM
You are probably ok but you could pick up some SeaChem prime and add some of that per the directions. It binds ammonia so it's not toxic.

Good luck.