PDA

View Full Version : How in the world do you clean fine sand?

JingoFresh
02/01/2016, 12:39 AM
I have very fine white sand.

Everything I have read about cleaning a tank says to siphon debris and such from the surface once a week.

If I even try that I get a sandstorm and pick up waaay more sand than I should.

What is the solution to clean very fine sand?

thegrun
02/01/2016, 12:42 AM
Get larger grained sand! I love the look of the fine grained sand, but if you have corals that need high water flow it just isn't practical.

JingoFresh
02/01/2016, 12:45 AM
Get larger grained sand! I love the look of the fine grained sand, but if you have corals that need high water flow it just isn't practical.

I don't have corals at present, just wondering how in the world you are meant to clean it.

heathlindner25
02/01/2016, 04:34 AM
Pinch your vacuum gravel with your hand to slow the flow down.

JingoFresh
02/04/2016, 04:01 AM
Pinch your vacuum gravel with your hand to slow the flow down.

That makes it so I don't end up picking up anything meaningful...

There has to be a better way?

dustinkimpel
02/04/2016, 08:08 AM
Barebottom 4 lyfe. Lol

Renzema
02/04/2016, 10:34 AM
Short answer..you don't.

Longer short answer. Get a CUC that will stir the top layer, and keep it clean. With just enough flow to prevent detritus from sitting on it.

Just my .02

Sk8r
02/04/2016, 11:19 AM
If you have between a 30 and a 50 gallon tank, try one small fighting conch.

Auston
02/04/2016, 11:45 AM
Use a gravel vacuum. There is a technique to it. You can watch how to on YouTube.

jd371
02/04/2016, 12:41 PM
I have this sand. Get some Nassarius snails and a Conch to stir up the sand bed, and try and aim your PH's so that it just slightly stirs up the top layer without creating a storm. It took me a while but I got it to where there is enough flow to move detritus around without moving a lot of sand, and eventually the sand will settle down and won't move. There are two spots in the corners where it does build up, but I take care of it with a turkey baster, I also rake the sand to stir things up when I do the WC.

McPuff
02/04/2016, 12:45 PM
Use a gravel vacuum. There is a technique to it. You can watch how to on YouTube.

This. You have to pinch and release a couple times for each siphon_full of sand. You'll end up pulling out some of the sand, but not much. I would then pour this small amount of sand into another container and every month or two put it back into the tank. How do you put it back into the tank?? Well, you use a funnel and piece of PVC. Extend pvc to the bottom of your tank, pour in the sand, and it leaves a very small amount of cloudiness because it doesn't touch much water on the way down. It's very effective.

jstack
02/04/2016, 05:14 PM
I have very fine white sand.

Everything I have read about cleaning a tank says to siphon debris and such from the surface once a week.

If I even try that I get a sandstorm and pick up waaay more sand than I should.

What is the solution to clean very fine sand?
I have very fine aswell I went with a 1 1/2 inch sand bed that has ripples like a beach that shift very slowly thruout the day from flow. water is clear and the sand bed has stayed fairly well even looks like the top half really only move's. this has been going on a week now for those curious on how long with no bare spots

sirclintler
02/16/2016, 11:35 AM
Does it help to rinse the sand before putting in the tank?

T Haynes
02/16/2016, 05:22 PM
2 things...goby and CUC

Koop
02/16/2016, 06:17 PM
SK8tr

How many conches would you put in a 120 gallon?

BigCountry74
02/16/2016, 07:33 PM
Barebottom 4 lyfe. Lol

x2 :beer:

like others said certain stock and CUC will keep the top of sand clean, along with the right flow.

how deep is your sand bed? needs to be at least 4" in order for it to actually do something (far as filtration goes). anything less and its just a maintenance headache lol

panhandler01
02/16/2016, 10:08 PM
Short answer..you don't.

Longer short answer. Get a CUC that will stir the top layer, and keep it clean. With just enough flow to prevent detritus from sitting on it.

Just my .02

+1. Nassarius snails.....lots of them.

Kolkri
02/17/2016, 07:23 PM
I just stir mine before I do a water change. I still have not figured out how to vacuum it without losing way to much.