PDA

View Full Version : Calibrating a Jecod DP-3 Doser

Mohammed
02/01/2016, 05:19 AM
Hi Guys,

I purchased a Jecod DP-3 doser from a fellow aquarist who sold it to me brand new. I set it up in my office to test it before it goes onto my tank.

I calibrated P1, 2 times just to make sure 100ml was dosed on the exact number of revolutions and is spot on at 211.

Pump 2 on the other hand gave me 4 different numbers of revolutions to get to 100mls. It is off by as much as 10 revolutions. Eventually set it on the fourth try as the value was one revolution off from the second try.

Pump 3 was 2 revolutions difference so I let it be and set it.

I put it down to possible reading error. I will do more stringent testing with a kitchen scale.

I set up a dosing programme to dose 3mls 4 times a day, but on checking the output its way more than 3mls more like 4.5mls.

Anyone had any issues like this. So far the output from pump 1 and 2 looks similar in quantity. Pump 3 looks closer to 5ml. I'm pouring the output into a 3ml syringe and will go get a 10ml medicine measure shortly.

I'm not overly concerned as long as 2 pumps dose the exact amount and wont be using pump 3 anytime soon as I'll be dosing mag manually for now.

As I cant return it, does anyone have any ideas on how to calibrate it so at least I get the same dosage on at least 2 heads. Anyone has had any similar issues.

Thanks

SpSChief85
02/01/2016, 05:27 AM
Mine does the same thing when trying to calibrate... it's not being used at the moment, don't think I'll ever use it again...although as long as you measure the effluent coming out to what you have programmed, and your Cal and alk suppliments are created equally you should be fine after alittle leg work to figure out how much it's actually putting out and programming it, it's going to be pain staking to say the least, ditch it and get a calrx or a big name doser that's tryed and true.

Mohammed
02/01/2016, 06:10 AM
Yeah I'm so bummed as I'm a new reefer and dosing is new to me. Sorry to hear about your doser as well.

So I gave it a try again changed the programme so I don't have to wait so long to calibrate. Got it dosing every 5min.

P1 set to 2ml dosing 3ml
P2 set to 2ml dosing 3ml also, a fraction of a hair in difference.
P3 set to 2ml dosing 3.2ml

So far I'm safe with pump 1 and 2. My method of resolving to get it down to 2ml is to recal the pumps to 95ml instead of 100ml and increment it slowly downwards till the output is 2ml.

Bit of a bummer but I think I can work with that. Il just keep notes in case I forget. Going to keep it running in my office till I'm satisfied.

Will definitely start saving for a decent Doser.

Thanks

Its a pity I'm not the only one.

Mohammed
02/02/2016, 05:28 AM
Just an up date,

I've been fiddling around and managed to get it to dose spot on every time only up to 10mls though. Through trial and error and manipulating the 100ml calibration down to 72ml I managed to dose 2ml however anything above 2ml was incorrect. I eventually scrapped the idea to get it to dose small amounts and recalibrated it back to 100ml.

I then set up a programme to dose dose 100ml , 50ml, 10ml and 5ml. I measured the output after each dose and noted that 10ml was the lowest dose it can handle with any level of accuracy.

To find any truth in my madness I set up a dose of 5ml x 10 and got 64mls however when I did 10ml x 5 I got 50mls.

That's a win for me lol.