PDA

View Full Version : How long should LED's be on at full intensity?

serbusfish
02/01/2016, 10:39 AM
I visit two local fish stores and both are giving me different information regarding my lighting duration. One said they should be on 8 hours with half an hour at either end for ramping up, the other says 6 hours full intensity but several hours either side for ramping.

I have a Maxspect Razor 15K which has a white and blue channel, at the moment my schedule is like this:

2pm - 4pm = from 0%/0% - 40%/90%.
4pm - 11pm = stays at 40%/90%
11pm = 1am - ramps back down to 0%/0%

So I am currently giving my corals 7 hours full intensity, with a couple of hours either side for ramping (pretty much following advice of second LFS). Is this OK? Or should I change it?

toothybugs
02/01/2016, 11:06 AM
That's quite similar to my schedule, but then, what are you trying to keep, how are they doing, and do you have any idea what your PAR values are?

Nano sapiens
02/01/2016, 11:14 AM
I visit two local fish stores and both are giving me different information regarding my lighting duration. One said they should be on 8 hours with half an hour at either end for ramping up, the other says 6 hours full intensity but several hours either side for ramping.

I have a Maxspect Razor 15K which has a white and blue channel, at the moment my schedule is like this:

2pm - 4pm = from 0%/0% - 40%/90%.
4pm - 11pm = stays at 40%/90%
11pm = 1am - ramps back down to 0%/0%

So I am currently giving my corals 7 hours full intensity, with a couple of hours either side for ramping (pretty much following advice of second LFS). Is this OK? Or should I change it?

There are no real solid numbers for this question, but lots of opinions. If you look at a graph of light intensity falling on a reef on a clear day you'd typically see around 4 hours of 'full intensity' (with possible short duration dips from passing clouds during this period).

Corals are adaptable and can adapt to various lighting schemes. My personal preference is for around 4 hrs. 'full intensity' as this is all that is needed for pigment production, but if your corals are doing fine at 7 hrs, then you could stick to your current schedule.

serbusfish
02/01/2016, 03:01 PM
That's quite similar to my schedule, but then, what are you trying to keep, how are they doing, and do you have any idea what your PAR values are?

Well 99% of my corals are doing great and have shown growth since I bought them. The only corals that havent shown growth and look a little dull are some Acro frags, although to be honest this could be because my light intensity isnt quite high enough (I am in the process of increasing it).

I have LPS such as Acans, Elegance Coral, Bubble Coral, Scolymia, Lobo, candy canes, & SPS like Monti's, Birdsnest, and Elephant Skin.

Steve Atkins
02/01/2016, 03:29 PM
Full intensity (100% setting) for four hours here, with a 2 hour ramp at each end. Ramp is shaped so probably 5 hours above 85%. Also passing clouds are simulated which can briefly lower output as much as 45% at random intervals.

Coral colours are not super bright but look pretty natural and can get acro growth on bottom so seems to be working OK.

Using Aquabeam tiles and since each one is not that bright I use a lot of them.

Steve

nvy
02/01/2016, 03:32 PM
I have a china box 165w over 50G. 100% blue and 60-70% whites at 7hrs/day and about 16" from the surface.