PDA

View Full Version : Pump choices, mag7 or sicce 3.0?

Brooks87
02/01/2016, 02:33 PM
I was going to purchase a mag7. After checking into it some people are complaining they are loud. I saw a youtube review and it did seem to clatter and make more noise then the pump they compared it to. I have a smaller sicce syncra and it is silent. My setup is by my tv chair and the tank is 100% silent now so I don't want to screw it up over $20 bucks. Thoughts anyone?

MondoBongo
02/01/2016, 02:59 PM
i'm running quite a few Danner mag drives on my setups. most of the time i don't notice any additional noise from them, unless they happen to vibrating when touching something else in the sump, which happens on occasion.

keeping them clean helps. the older one i use in my mixing station is louder than the never ones i have on my returns. probably time to give it a good vinegar soak.

honestly, if the difference is $20 i would probably just get the Sicce. my setup tends to run loud because of the beast of a skimmer i use, so that covers up a lot.

n2585722
02/01/2016, 03:13 PM
Get some silicone tubing to hook between you pump and the rest of you return plumbing. It will make a big difference. I use the Sicce 3.0 as my return pump.

Drae
02/01/2016, 03:40 PM
Sicce all day long over the mag drives. Mags are pretty solid pumps but the sicce's are better.

Brooks87
02/01/2016, 03:51 PM
Gotcha. I was thinking the Magdrives were robust, but my goal is quiet. Sounds like your all thinking sicce...

Tgionet
02/01/2016, 05:50 PM
If the 7 is similar noise wise to the 9.5, go with the sicce

viggen
02/01/2016, 10:16 PM
No comparison on the quality between the two.... Sicce

I own both and the sicce is a far superior pump. Yes you can put silicone or do one of numerous other tricks to quiet a mag pump down but why deal with that when you can just get a pump that's silent.