PDA

View Full Version : Sb Reef lights vs ReedBreeder light

ReefHaven.ATL
02/01/2016, 03:21 PM
I'm trying to decide on which light I should buy. I'm stuck between Sb Reef lights and the newer Reefbreeders. I plan on having mostly SPS and LPS coral. Can anybody help me out on what light spectrum is better, or which light is better in general.

Sb reef light
The cross point of Chlorophyll A and C is 447nm, that is where Zooxanthallae are most efficient. We hit it very hard. Also note 420nm is where Chlorophyll A peaks and we hit that hard as well. We have more 420nm than any other black box. Also note 420nm is a trigger wavelength that tricks corals into thinking they are in shallower water, resulting in development of more protective pigment "Color". Note we don't hit the 470nm peak of Chlorophyll C as hard, there is a valid reason for this. Chlorophyll C saturates at a lower photon energy, and has a much lower density in most typical corals than Chlorophyll A. This means adding more energy there adds no value after a point. Instead we do something no other black box lights do, we hit the secondary absorption point of the cartenoids present in the Chloroplast hard. The cartenoids absorb the 490nm wavelength and convert the energy into a source the chloroplast can better use. The Cartenoid Peridinin is present in higher concentration than Chlorophyll C as well. We also hit the 660nm peaks of Chlorophyll A&C. Finally we have 395nm True UV, which not only adds to coral flourescence, but development of protective color pigments by again tricking the coral into thinking it's in shallower water. The issue with true UVs though is that the UV actually destroys the lens over time. We have solved this problem by finding a better quality diode with a silica lens instead of plastic. Makes for a little more expensive diode, but it will last more than the 1 year max you get out of a typical plastic lens. For our white channel, we have just enough green and yellow for aesthetics, with the bulk of diodes in the 14K range. We also have 20K diodes, something no other black box has. This provides for a crisp white with hints of blue.

Or Reefbreeders

marinelife
02/07/2016, 04:03 PM
My experience with SB Reef light company so far has not been good. I ordered a light to test on Thursday Jan 28th and after a week it had not shipped I know the website and confirmation email said 2-4 days to ship. I asked about it and the owner said mine was shipping from china and he could not ship from the new US warehouse because he did not know if China shipped it. I asked for a refund and again was rejected. I finally got a tracking number Friday night with the owner saying he was shipping from the us warehouse now, Well the tracking number shows nothing. UPS does not have in it their hands at this time. I have also been bashed because I said I liked the Mars Aqua light that I was testing. Many seem to like the SB Reef Light but I will never know as I am asking for a full refund. I was also worried if something went wrong with the light what would I do.

happyhourhero
02/23/2016, 03:49 PM
I have SB Reef Lights over my 65 and have had the opposite experience of marinelife. I ordered a replacement board and a basic unit and had both to my door in 8 days from China. I am getting better growth and much better color than I had with my galaxyhydro black box. Any and all questions I have asked the owner have been answered quickly and to my satisfaction.

One thing to consider, and this is based off of what I have seen happen on Facebook, which is where his marketing takes place, is that this was a hobbyist who modified a black box to what he believes if the best spectrum for growing corals and made it available for purchase. He expected to sell 30-40 lights and instead ends up selling more than 400 a month. I dont think he was prepared for that kind of demand.

marinelife
02/23/2016, 03:57 PM
I currently am running 6 Mars Aqua LEDs over my tank and broke an acropora just to see growth. Within a week it was regrowing. The PAR readings are way higher than the SB light I tested.
My wife and I did not like the color of the SB light over my tank. The Mars lights give a nice white/clear look.

colorful1180
11/07/2016, 09:12 AM
I ordered SB Reef Lights (sBox Pro 16" Timer) for my 75g tank,It's decent,I am super happy with it.I had a great experience. Once it shipped, it took 3 days to get to me from China. Less than a week total. No issues with either unit I bought. Walson Ni (https://www.facebook.com/jack.xu.3388) was manufacturer of SB Reef Lights in China,he handles international shipping for SB Reef Lights,he can get your lights sent out quickly. I talked to Walson Ni,he said if your sb light is special,such as white powder coating, if lack of material,such as LCD Timer control,Wi-Fi Control,PCB Board,the time would be long

Gooseman
11/12/2016, 12:45 PM
how much do the 16" programmable lights cost?

rushbattle
11/12/2016, 12:59 PM
how much do the 16" programmable lights cost?

Head to sbreeflights.com. It will tell you nearly everything you need to know about the lights.

Bpb
11/12/2016, 06:39 PM
Haven't used either...but something to keep in mind, the new reef breeders feature cree diodes and 6 channels of control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk