PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer sizing. Eshopps s series

michael43
02/01/2016, 06:47 PM
So I'm finally about to turn on my system after 2 full 2 day RO fill!! The tank is a reefer 450. 92 gallon main tank and 26 gallon sump. I bought a eshopps s-150 rated to 150 gallons. I'm questioning myself thinking I should have got the S-200 rated to 250 gallons. I plan on eventually stocking pretty well with LPS/SPS and fish. Before I cant return it anymore should I upgrade to the larger skimmer or you guys think this one will be more than adequate?? Thanks guys for all your patience with all my noob questions.

sixpackgarage
02/02/2016, 09:17 AM
I'm running the S150 on my 65G. I originally bought the S200, but it wouldn't fit in my sump. Definitely get the biggest one you can fit IMHO.

wildman926
02/02/2016, 10:00 AM
You will be fine. I would have went with the psk-100. A properly sized skimmer will outperform an over sized skimmer. You don't count your sump for bio load. No corals or fish are there to produce that.

wildman926
02/02/2016, 10:09 AM
These skimmers are great little skimmers for the money, especially since they have changed to the Sicce pumps. I used a foam sponge to help trap any bubbles in the sump. The foam sponge is what is used for hang on overflows. If something ever happens to my AquaMaxx skimmers, I will be going back to these.

PSK-100 on my 90g
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/wildman926/Aquariums/New%20110/ec11fb2d.jpg

sixpackgarage
02/02/2016, 10:52 AM
You will be fine. I would have went with the psk-100. A properly sized skimmer will outperform an over sized skimmer. You don't count your sump for bio load. No corals or fish are there to produce that.

let's remember that skimmer 'ratings' have no merit whatsoever, are arbitrary and have no science behind them. Companies like eshopps literally operate out of a strip mall.. I'd say very unlikely that there is some scientific way of rating their equipment.

A little extra capacity won't hurt anything, but acts as a buffer when something goes wrong with the tank (and it will)

These are just my opinions :fish1:

wildman926
02/02/2016, 11:33 AM
let's remember that skimmer 'ratings' have no merit whatsoever, are arbitrary and have no science behind them. Companies like eshopps literally operate out of a strip mall.. I'd say very unlikely that there is some scientific way of rating their equipment.

A little extra capacity won't hurt anything, but acts as a buffer when something goes wrong with the tank (and it will)

These are just my opinions :fish1:

It is about neck size. Size matters. IME, too large of a neck, the skimmer is idle too long until it collects enough to pour over into the collection cup. Smaller necks allow removal of docs into the cup so much easier, easier to tune. A smaller skimmer/neck will outperform a larger skimmer/neck every time. The ratings are a guide, not gospel...

I have actual experience on several different skimmers. The latest one is, that I have a pair of Aquamaxx skimmers, EM 200 & 300. 200 is on the 90g, 300 is on my 150g. I did not have a mechanical filter before the skimmer, and some debris lodged itself in the impeller of the 300. I took it down, and removed the 200 from the 90g, and used it on my 150g until I received my new impeller. The EM200 produced the a tad more output than my 300.

To the OP... Sorry, I thought you were talking about the psk series. I still feel you are fine.

Bono
02/02/2016, 02:59 PM
I had the Eshopp s150 on a 90 gal and I thought it was fine.