PDA

View Full Version : Gfo amount

Ohioreef1700
02/01/2016, 10:05 PM
I just set up a gfo reactor on my 45 gallon cube I started with bulk reef supply gfo ( non high captivity ) It recommended 11 tablespoons so I started with 8 just to be safe is this a good amount or am I going to wake up to problems tomorrow.

Reel North
02/01/2016, 11:18 PM
I'd always start at 1/4 the dose recommended.

Hitch08
02/01/2016, 11:23 PM
I run the HC GFO through a reactor. Assuming that you flushed it out before running it for your DT, I really doubt that you'll see any problems tomorrow. It doesn't drop that fast. Keep the GFO tumbling. I think you'll be fine.

What was your level before starting it?

slief
02/01/2016, 11:31 PM
I have never had any negative impacts from my use of GFO. I typically add the recommended amount of the BRS high capacity stuff. Sometimes a bit more. If you have the proper flow through the reactor which is essentially a very slow tumble at the surface so the GFO is percolating, the effluent of the reactor should have a 0 Po4 reading. As such, as long as it's rinsed well, the recommended amount shouldn't have any negative impact and the upside is that you shouldn't have to change it as frequently. I think the only real risks that come with GFO are the result of not rinsing properly or running too much flow which can cause it to grind itself up and produce GFO dust.