PDA

View Full Version : Talbots or azure damsel in a 29g?

dragonsong
02/01/2016, 10:27 PM
Wondering if either of these guys would be good in a 29g with a percula clown and lubbock's fairy wrasse? I heard these are the two least aggressive species so would it be alright or should I add something more peaceful?

Sk8r
02/01/2016, 10:40 PM
No, sorry. They take preferably 100 gallons, no kidding. I know they're small, but their space requirements aren't. I'd suggest, maybe the goby class, which has some rather flashy members.

whosurcaddie
02/02/2016, 01:13 AM
Check these guys out I have three in my tank and I've never had any problems with them. My clownfish is more of an ***hole than these guys.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+28+2073&pcatid=2073

3dees
02/02/2016, 12:02 PM
I have a yellowtail that never bothers any other fish including newly added fish, but it's in a 120 gal. tank. the smaller the tank the more aggressive they become. they still want to stake out their own territory. I wouldn't have one in a nano.

cloak
02/02/2016, 12:12 PM
No, sorry. They take preferably 100 gallons, no kidding. I know they're small, but their space requirements aren't. I'd suggest, maybe the goby class, which has some rather flashy members.

I disagree. If this is the truth then those tank requirements for tangs is WAY off. I've kept multiple damsels in small tanks before and everybody got along swimmingly. Safety in numbers perhaps? A Domino or perhaps a Sergeant Major can definitely rule the roost, but the majority of them are pretty docile IME. Very undemanding.

bat21
02/02/2016, 02:15 PM
I have a yellowtail that never bothers any other fish including newly added fish, but it's in a 120 gal. tank. the smaller the tank the more aggressive they become. they still want to stake out their own territory. I wouldn't have one in a nano.

I have a tank half that size and my yellowtail decided all of the rocks belonged to him and no other fish were allowed near them. He is no longer in my tank.

TimeConsumer
02/02/2016, 03:45 PM
I had a yellowtail in a 10g and he didn't bother his clown roommates. Later they all got moved to a 75g and he continued to not bother anyone. Great fish for some, demons for others.

dragonsong
02/02/2016, 04:02 PM
I had a yellowtail in a 10g and he didn't bother his clown roommates. Later they all got moved to a 75g and he continued to not bother anyone. Great fish for some, demons for others.

Yeah I had two yellowtails in the 29 previously with a royal gramma, everyone was fine until a new fish wiped out the tank from velvet :( QT everything now...but before that there was no fighting or fin nipping at all, I just didn't know if these new ones I want would get along with the new tankmates like before.

Cliving1
02/02/2016, 07:31 PM

I would have to agree. Damsels are notorious for a 2'x2' (or 3'x3' cant remember exactly) range that they claim. Some get away without issues but in my experience they are very territorial and need a much larger tank than 29 gallons.