PDA

View Full Version : IM 25g Lagoon Build Plan

TheSacrifice
02/02/2016, 10:38 AM
Good morning ladies and gentlemen.

I've been out of the hobby for awhile and I'm looking setup a new reef in about 6 months. Let me begin by saying I had a semi successful 40g reef about 2 years ago. I say semi successful because it only lasted 6-9 months before I had to sell it due to downsizing.

One of the things that I regret from my first reef build was that I cheaped out on equipment and I believe that gave me some hurdles to overcome. This time I'd like to save up the cash and do things right from the beginning if possible. I also expect to add a few mods and pieces of equipment later down the road but for now I'd love to start this tank with what everyone believes to be the proper necessities.

Here's what I'd like to hear from you guys. Imagine I'm hiring you to build a reef setup. The only stipulation is that I'd prefer to start with an IM 25g Lagoon tank. The budget is $1,000 and does not include tank, stand or livestock. What equipment would you buy? Keep in mind I don't have anything right now. I'll list a few things below that I believe are musts.

Also I'm not just some random noob that's trying to get you guys to do all of the leg work. I've literally spent 20-30 hours in the past few weeks reading forums and reviews about what equipment to buy but to be honest my brain is spinning with all of these options and unfortunately nothing is cheap.

Tank, Stand and Livestock are not to be taken from the budget. Let me also mention that my goal for this tank is LPS. I will not be focusing on SPS at the moment.

Budget: $1000

Things that I can think of that I need. Let me know if I'm missing anything.

RO/DI Unit:
Salt:
Light with mount and controller:
ATO:
Skimmer:
Powerhead(s):
Rock:
Sand:
Heater:
Refractometer:
Test Kits:
Chemicals:
Controller:
Dosing (will it be needed):

Feel free to chime on one or all of the above items. At this very moment the lighting options are giving me the biggest headache. I'm leaning towards the Kessil 160we.

Thanks,
Dan

soulpatch
02/02/2016, 10:54 AM
RO/DI Unit: BRS value water plus (239)

Salt: Reef crystals (buckets often on sale at petsmart, petco, or amazon for $35)

Light with mount and controller: I like Kessil and would probably spring for the 360WE (350) gooseneck and 90 degree adapter (40)

Rock: Reef cleaners 30 pounds (60)

Sand: 40 pounds carib sea original grade (60 but I got it on amazon for 35)

Heater: eheim or neotherm depending on back chamber size (20-50)

Refractometer: (30 from amazon)

Test Kits: red sea master kit (50)

Chemicals: None to start save for a $3 bottle of ammonia at ace hardware or such

Controller: this is your budget breaker... Apex and I would go full which is 550 but you can get away with the jr knowing that you will need mroe outlets and such soon which puts you right back at full price.

Dosing (will it be needed): wont be needed at startup or potentially ever depending on your live stock. With LPS water changes should hold you in and you could suppliment with kalk in the ato

You are missing:
ATO (100 for tunze nano)
ATO top off container (5 for a simple bucket)
RODI collection bucket or can (30 for brute 32 gallon can)
skimmer - not sure what will fit but look into the aquatic life skimmer for 70.
powerheads (I would probably go with RW4 to save costs with a JB wave so you get all functionality of MP10. 50 for PH and 80 for JB wave.

All in all I am currently at 1755. I could shave 100 from RODI if you went with 75GPD model. Also shave another 250 for the apex jr but know you will need to add more in near future. Really the light and controller alone kill your budget by themselves.

You could avoid the controller for now saving yourself the cost and see if you need it later. Really the only thing I use mine for on the tank is automated feeding and temp backup.

TheSacrifice
02/02/2016, 10:59 AM
Thank you for the reply Soulpatch. I'll add the items to my list above and see what others think. I didn't have a controller last time but it sort of scared the crap out of me because I was always worried that a heater would stick and then I'm screwed. So you think that the Kessil 160we is too small for this tank?

Also keep the comments coming everyone.

soulpatch
02/02/2016, 11:03 AM
Something simple like a ranco controller will keep the heater in check for you. I LOVE my apex dont get me wrong as it makes even water changes easier but it is not a must have for a smaller tank especially when you wont be running dosers or other pieces of equipment to keep in check.

The 160 would work for this tank even if you went SPS as it is so shallow but the 360 puts out more juice and would be more easily moved to another tank OR handle everything in this tank without issue.

You could go other fixtures as well to save costs like RapidLED Onyx or a AI light.

Aggiefish12
02/02/2016, 11:05 AM
I don't have a skimmer on mine. I'm using a kessil a150w and it's working great for my sps. I don't have apex either. Just a brs 1.1ml doser on a timer from harbor freight and I manually dose calcium every other day. I have two heaters mostly bc they were what I had available but one neotherm would be your best bet. I have chaeto in one of the back compartments and it's growing like crazy. Purigen and filterfloss in my media caddy and that's it

Reefermatt3
02/02/2016, 11:09 AM
For the RO unit I would try and find one that someone is trying to sell to save on some costs. Use IO Reef salt. To avoid hitch hikers go with dry rock. Pukani has a great pore structure or you could truly and go manmade. A favorite of many reefers is CaribSea live sand. And I personally don't use a refractometer I just have a basic hydrometer.

soulpatch
02/02/2016, 11:15 AM
Used rodi will cost about same add new since you will need to replace filters

TheSacrifice
02/02/2016, 11:18 AM
I don't have a skimmer on mine. I'm using a kessil a150w and it's working great for my sps. I don't have apex either. Just a brs 1.1ml doser on a timer from harbor freight and I manually dose calcium every other day. I have two heaters mostly bc they were what I had available but one neotherm would be your best bet. I have chaeto in one of the back compartments and it's growing like crazy. Purigen and filterfloss in my media caddy and that's it

Do you have a build thread going anywhere? I couldn't find one. How long as that tank been up and running. I love hearing from actually owners as well.

lilphil26
02/02/2016, 10:13 PM
This sounds like me all over again. My 50 gal i tried to cheap out on about ten years ago but this time im buying all decent stuff. I have a Kessil 160 on mine with the tunze nano ato, Jebao RW4, neotherm 100w heater, 30lbs marco rock and 20lbs live sand. Look forward to your progress!

TheSacrifice
02/03/2016, 07:57 AM
This sounds like me all over again. My 50 gal i tried to cheap out on about ten years ago but this time im buying all decent stuff. I have a Kessil 160 on mine with the tunze nano ato, Jebao RW4, neotherm 100w heater, 30lbs marco rock and 20lbs live sand. Look forward to your progress!

lilphil26 you're the exact kind of people that I'd like to hear from. I'll definitely putting together a build thread once I get this ball rolling but first I'd like to stack up a nice pile of cash so I can buy everything at once and be ready to roll. Is there anything that you feel like you're missing at this point or that you wished that you should've purchased first? Do you have a build thread or any pics of your setup? Thanks.

soulpatch
02/03/2016, 08:05 AM
One piece of equipment I see thrown around with these lagoon tanks that I can say to steer away from is the Tunze 9001 skimmer. It is a piece of junk and I am amazed a company like Tunze allowed that to go out the door with their name on it.

TheSacrifice
02/03/2016, 08:17 AM
One piece of equipment I see thrown around with these lagoon tanks that I can say to steer away from is the Tunze 9001 skimmer. It is a piece of junk and I am amazed a company like Tunze allowed that to go out the door with their name on it.

Thanks for the confirmation. I've been seeing that statement more and more as I read through the forums. Would you happen to have any more info on using a Ranco for heater monitoring?

soulpatch
02/03/2016, 08:30 AM
It is just a temp control unit that controls your heater. Since most heaters get stuck in the on position it would cut power to the unit to avoid frying the tank.

Another option is to run 2 heaters. IE If your tank would need 100W of heating to maintain temp you get 2 50W heaters as if one fails it cant fry the tank and the other one can turn on and off as needed. Even with my apex I tend to go this route. I needed 400W or so in my 150 (really 220 when all said and done) so I got 2 200 watt heaters in case one should fail. Same overall power usage but I am guarded against a serious temp swing.

Aggiefish12
02/04/2016, 01:59 PM
Do you have a build thread going anywhere? I couldn't find one. How long as that tank been up and running. I love hearing from actually owners as well.

Here is my build 25g Lagoon upgrade
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2547802

Aggiefish12
02/04/2016, 01:59 PM
It is just a temp control unit that controls your heater. Since most heaters get stuck in the on position it would cut power to the unit to avoid frying the tank.

Another option is to run 2 heaters. IE If your tank would need 100W of heating to maintain temp you get 2 50W heaters as if one fails it cant fry the tank and the other one can turn on and off as needed. Even with my apex I tend to go this route. I needed 400W or so in my 150 (really 220 when all said and done) so I got 2 200 watt heaters in case one should fail. Same overall power usage but I am guarded against a serious temp swing.

This is why I have two heaters as well.

TheSacrifice
02/04/2016, 02:34 PM
Your link seems to be broken.

soulpatch
02/04/2016, 02:35 PM
this is his thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2547802