PDA

View Full Version : External Overflow with Bean Animal Capability???

AUFishGuy
02/02/2016, 11:18 AM
Anyone know of an external overflow that has 3 holes on the outside part of the box that would make it possible to run a bean animal setup? I know CPR makes great overflow boxes but was surprised to see they only had the standard one drain on the outside box

RedStangGA
02/02/2016, 12:29 PM
Have you looked at the Synergy Reef or Modular Marine overflows?

AUFishGuy
02/02/2016, 01:16 PM
Have you looked at the Synergy Reef or Modular Marine overflows?

Briefly, Don't you need to drill the tank for these models?

ghatter
02/02/2016, 01:30 PM
Briefly, Don't you need to drill the tank for these models?

Yes, you have to drill two holes in the back wall for the bulkheads to get the water from the tank to the overflow box. I'm using one of those now and highly recommend it. You're probably not going to find an overflow like you want that's a HOB style. I know I've never seen one. The tube going over the aquarium wall would have to be really large to accommodate the flow from the beananimal style drains, and you'd lose the redundancy provided by the three drains. Basically all of the benefits of the 3-drain setup.

rickztahone
02/02/2016, 02:23 PM
Yes, you have to drill two holes in the back wall for the bulkheads to get the water from the tank to the overflow box. I'm using one of those now and highly recommend it. You're probably not going to find an overflow like you want that's a HOB style. I know I've never seen one. The tube going over the aquarium wall would have to be really large to accommodate the flow from the beananimal style drains, and you'd lose the redundancy provided by the three drains. Basically all of the benefits of the 3-drain setup.

I have done a lot of research on BA setups and like ghatter, I have never run in to a HOB BA setup for sale. Drill your tank and you will be very happy with the decision.

SinCityReefer
02/02/2016, 03:00 PM
No way getting around drilling if you want one of these new fancy multi-drain setups.

The HOB stuff is OK, but i wouldn't ever trust one long term. My first reef had a HOB system that was ultimately brought down by a large and curious snail, if ANYTHING happens to that one single tube that goes over the tank its flood city. In my experience it was much easier to break that siphon than I could live with, and that was ultimately the biggest single factor that made me take the plunge to a new tank (drilled!)... I just got tired of messing with / worrying about the HOB overflow, after having a real plumbed in overflow system id never go back.

Everyone says drilling a non-tempered tank is not that hard. (Never done it, but it seems easy-ish) BRS sells a nice drill rig and diamond bits for a reasonable price. Would cost you less than a hundred bucks in supplies for a couple holes. Then the synergy reef box plugs right in and gives you everything your looking for, along with a nice clean look.

Manfredo
02/02/2016, 05:34 PM
Personally run a full siphon setup in my coast to coast overflow (Reef Savvy's Ghost Overflow). It's dead silent and quite simple to setup really. But agree with the others that commented, you're going to have to look into drilling your tank to get one of those. I have no experience with HOB so really can't comment on them.