PDA

View Full Version : Maxspect Riptide owners..I have a few questions

AUFishGuy
02/02/2016, 01:14 PM
SO i currently have Jeboa pumps and one has quit working within the 30 day warranty period, I am planning to return it and get a new brand and have come across these units. I have a Deep Blue 90 gallon mixed reef and have a few concerns and questions that i hope you can answer. I will list them below.

1.) What size should i get for a 90 gallon tank? the 130 or 150. Where have you placed yours? the back wall or one of the side walls and why?

2.) i have a very fine sand substrate, based on videos it looks like one of these units no matter where it is place is going to blow my sand bed around quite a bit. I am thinking about adding a layer of crushed coral on top of the sand to prevent this from happening. What are your thoughts.

3.) My last concern, In the middle of my tank I have a large, 20+ head frogspawn about half way up in the water column. I am worried about it getting too much flow.I was thinking it wouldn't be a problem since if I were to put the unit on the back glass the coral would be directly under it getting less flow. In videos i am seeing most people put the unit on a side of the tank vs the back. I guess this goes back to my first question.

TIA. Below is a pic of my tank for reference, its a couple months old so things have gotten bigger but you get the jist

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t509/rcbrownr7/Mobile%20Uploads/20151216_221857_zpss09rzm44.jpg (http://s1063.photobucket.com/user/rcbrownr7/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151216_221857_zpss09rzm44.jpg.html)

steallife904
02/02/2016, 02:11 PM
I have a 5ft long 150 gallon and I run 2 xf150s in my tank, one on each side. For your tank I would do either 1 xf150 or 2 xf130s. 1 of the 130s would most likely work but you would have to turn it up.
I have reef grade sand and mine does not get kicked up. I run my xf 150s at 50-60% power. only 1 runs at a time, have them programed on my apex to come on for an hour then off and other one comes on. back and fourth. If you have fine sand though yes it will kick it up.
The flow is flat and not really concentrated and if aimed more toward the top of the water I don't think your frogspawn will get to much flow. I have a 30-40 head frogspawn on the far left of the tank which would get most of the flow bouncing off the glass and it is doing great.

AUFishGuy
02/03/2016, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the reply

AUFishGuy
02/03/2016, 12:34 PM
bump for more recs

ghostman
02/03/2016, 12:53 PM
I would recommend the 150 for your size tank. I have mine on the back wall, but yours would be best horizontal on a side wall in my opinion. The sand may be an issue. In my tank, there is an area that the sand gets moved more than others so I have placed corals and rocks accordingly. I'm not sure how the frogspawn will react, but the flow is broader and more gentle than a powerhead. All my corals love it.