PDA

View Full Version : Relatively new to sps, lighting question kessil

Cloud_strife
02/02/2016, 03:29 PM
Hi everyone.

My first post! Iv been keeping Marines for years but relatively new to sps. I'm gathering equipment for a new set up and I want to go down the sps route a bit more this time.

I'm setting up a tmc signature 900 and have my eyes on kessil lighting. Will 2x a160 tuna blues be ample for this tank?? The next model up is is a shed load more expensive (for good reasons I imagine).

These look amazing on YouTube and are quite good on power by the looks of it but it's hard to find a lot of Info on them re sps.

Thank you!!

Polyp Addict
02/02/2016, 04:43 PM
What are the dimensions on the tank?

Cloud_strife
02/03/2016, 02:20 AM
hello.

Its 90 x 45 x 45

PatrikD
02/03/2016, 03:05 AM
I would say you need 2 360we or 4 160we and perhaps 1-2 24w t5.

My tank is 90x50x55 and with two 360we I have had good growth for many corals but not all acros. I added a third 360we recently and the corals seem to respond well. I also use a light mover to reduce shadowing. One 360 is fixed though. Another way to reduce shadowing is to complement with T5.

Cloud_strife
02/03/2016, 04:38 AM
Perhaps i would be better off just getting a different unit all together. I think the kessils look amazing, but if i need to spend best park of £1000 to light a 3ft tank id be better off spending half that on a different unit.

I have read that they really are worth the money and come closest to a natural reef look. Would you agree with this?

thank

PatrikD
02/03/2016, 05:53 AM
The shimmer and natural look of mh was one thing that attracted me a long time ago when I started with saltwater. The hazzle with heat and bulb change with mh got me into LED and I've not seen any other LED produce the mh-feel like Kessil. They have perhaps even more shimmer because they are a more point like light source than most mh. They are not strong in the red green spectrum so I think some think they may lack a little pop in red compared to other LED. And also look a bit dim in comparison. But a red fish is red with Kessil too :-) I think Kessils recommendation with 360we is for a mixed reef. If you really like acros I think can have up to twice as much light.

They have drawbacks and the main one is shadowing.
You can fix that with
- more pendants
- add T5
- use a light mover
Best would be all of the above.

Have you seen the AP700? Perhaps the best compromise.

PatrikD
02/03/2016, 06:13 AM
If you can tolerate the flat and life less T5 light, I believe that an ATI pm 4x39W T5 (or even 6x39w)
2C+ and 2B+ tubes would be a guaranteed success if all other parameters are in order. :-)