PDA

View Full Version : Wet dry or canister?????

zydek
02/02/2016, 06:37 PM
Getting ready to buy a 200 gallon fish tank do I want to buy one with built in overflows for a wet dry system or do I want just by your regular tank and put in two canister filters. Then I heard I don't need any filtration system just tons of live rock in the protein skimmer not sure what to do please help

Dans85
02/02/2016, 08:41 PM
Neither. Build or buy a sump.

Legot
02/03/2016, 01:31 AM
Seriously, if you're willing to use the same amount of space for a wetdry or a canister filter just get a sump.

An overflow won't work all that well with a canister, and wetdry filters are really oldschool and they are far less reliable than a sump with whatever you need thrown into it.

EagleI
02/03/2016, 06:17 AM
Go with a tank with an overflow, and get a regular sump and a skimmer. You'll thank us later.

josbur63
02/03/2016, 09:32 AM
I have both a sump and an Eheim canister filter I use solely for chemical filtration.I had a canister filter as my only filtration on my 30 gallon cube at one time and it did not go well.The canister filter works for me as a supplemental filter,but I wouldn't recommend them as stand alone filtration.

nvy
02/03/2016, 09:52 AM
Canisters will end up being a nitrate factory unless you clean and flush it often. Leave those to the FW guys. Sump would be your best bet plus you get the hide all your equipment instead of being in the DT. I started on a canister (yes i was a FW guy but only have Arrowana and 9yr old frontosa left) and i couldn't get my nitrates under 20-40 ppm for the life of me! I didn't overfeed and my skimmer was pulling dark tea gunk out of the tank! Do right the first time to avoid headache down the road.

Hentz
02/03/2016, 10:29 AM
I agree wth everyone here. Sump all the way.

I came from a canister and wet/dry. Never again with I own those!

Mark426
02/03/2016, 12:51 PM
No canister for a reef tank is your best bet.

HARLEYDAWG01
02/03/2016, 03:12 PM
Sumps can be used in wet/dry or Berliner configuration so just saying sump would be a bit confusing. Start with a sump and configure it to support the type tank and bio load you are setting up. Fish only with little live rock needs surface area for bacteria and would likely be set up as a wet/dry. I Have 250 pounds of live rock and mostly coral. My bio load and tanks capabilities dictated that I configured my 2 sumps Berliner style. Mechanical filtration takes place through filter socks. I run a large protein skimmer and a phosphate reactor in the sump as well. Don't skimp on your return pump.