PDA

View Full Version : Quietest Return Pump?

cpllongjk
02/02/2016, 06:53 PM
I've eliminated most of the noise/vibrations coming from my tank except my return pump. It is honestly the noisiest piece of equipment in my tank.

I currently run the eheim 1260 and I call it Old Faithful because it never quits. I've been running it for over 3 years with no issues.

To make a long story short, I am looking for a return pump that is super quiet that provides about 500+gph flow at roughly 5ft of head pressure.

Any ideas?

MidwesternTexan
02/02/2016, 06:58 PM
Good flow, adjustable, silent? I use the DC12000.

Most would say not reliable however, Mines been ~ 2 years.

zachfishman
02/02/2016, 07:53 PM
Do you have the pump sitting on a cushion of some sort? I reduced the noise from my Eheim significantly by wedging a wad of filter floss between it and my acrylic sump. Ice heard of others using silicone cooking pads for this.

cpllongjk
02/02/2016, 08:12 PM
No there isnt anything between the pump and the glass sump. I can try to put something under it first.

Are mousepads safe for reef? I remember reading way back when that people used mousepads as a cushion.

zachfishman
02/02/2016, 08:33 PM
No there isnt anything between the pump and the glass sump. I can try to put something under it first.

Are mousepads safe for reef? I remember reading way back when that people used mousepads as a cushion.

I've heard of reefers using mousepads but I'm weary of doing so. Search the forums and let us know what you find. I've also heard of people using silicone baking mats like these (http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-Bakeware-Non-Stick-Silicone-Baking/dp/B00KN1408E/ref=sr_1_9?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1454466559&sr=1-9&keywords=silicone+mat).

I've also taken internal pumps and spread a layer of silicone on the bottom side as a vibration absorber.

reefiness
02/02/2016, 08:34 PM
my dc9000 is pretty silent.

trmiv
02/02/2016, 09:28 PM
I use silicone pot holders under my 1262. It helps quite a bit vs bare glass but the 1262 still hums like crazy. I'm looking for a new pump too. Love the reliability of my 10 year old eheim, but the hum drives me nuts

cpllongjk
02/02/2016, 10:14 PM
I use silicone pot holders under my 1262. It helps quite a bit vs bare glass but the 1262 still hums like crazy. I'm looking for a new pump too. Love the reliability of my 10 year old eheim, but the hum drives me nuts

You nailed it TRMIV! THE HUM! OMG! I turn off my return pump and my wife is like, "is your tank even on?"

trmiv
02/02/2016, 10:20 PM
Yea. Last night I upgraded my MP10's to QD and now the 1262 is by far the loudest thing in the tank. My feelings are mixed though because this 1262 has never failed to restart in the 10 years I've had it. I don't clean it that often but when I do it still shines up like the day it came out of the box. Just workhorse pumps. But maybe not living room friendly in all cases. Some people have a different experience though.

cpllongjk
02/02/2016, 10:40 PM
Yea. Last night I upgraded my MP10's to QD and now the 1262 is by far the loudest thing in the tank. My feelings are mixed though because this 1262 has never failed to restart in the 10 years I've had it. I don't clean it that often but when I do it still shines up like the day it came out of the box. Just workhorse pumps. But maybe not living room friendly in all cases. Some people have a different experience though.

I know exactly what you mean. My reef is in my man cave. My wife uses it all the time to watch movies and tv and we are in the same boat. My return is the noisiest thing in the tank. Even my skimmer is quieter than the return pump. It has been so reliable that I am afraid to replace it. But I think I may go with a sicce syncra 3.0. I would go with a vectra m1 but cannot justify the cost of a glorified return pump. The only feature I really admire about the vectra is the ability to connect it to the backup battery.

Cloud_strife
02/03/2016, 02:31 AM
+1 dc pumps... they are reliable and cheap enough to just replace when they pack in lol.

What skimmer you have out of curiosity?? im looking for a silent, effective skimmer.

Cloud_strife
02/03/2016, 02:31 AM
saying that i never had a dv pump pack in on me anyway. Had one going for 2.5 years no issues

REEFCHITOWN
02/03/2016, 03:49 AM
I would go with the Jabeo DCS pump they are dead silent. probably only need a 9000, but i would go with a 12000 and turn it down some or split it off for your carbon reactor.

wcharon
02/03/2016, 05:42 AM
I am also in the same boat and i am trying to decide between the Vectra M1 and the Waveline 10000 for my 125 and chiller.

As previously mentioned, i am not a fan of all the things that the Vectra haves and neither the use of the Reeflink at least at the near future. But i like the feed mode and the battery backup option which is a huge goal but i am stuck if i should really paid the $100.00 extra for those features plus the Battery Backup vs using the Waveline and incorporate it to the APEX.

Any suggestions to clear up my mind ???

Ron Reefman
02/03/2016, 06:53 AM
I have 2 Jebao DC12000 (early versions) running a closed loop (so external pump) and main return (so under water in the sump). They have both run over 2 years of 24/7. They are both dead quiet, they both have 6 speeds, 10 minute feeding delay and one thing I really like is the soft start system. I don't see how spending 2 or 3 times the cost of a Jebao gets you any real extra value. These are so inexpensive I bought a spare that has been sitting on a shelf for 2 years now!

wcharon
02/03/2016, 07:14 AM
Well... That's a good point as i also have 2 RW-15 and used WP-40's but was just looking for a better quality to avoid things that i previously had with my WP-40 but that can happen with any equipment.

Vinny Kreyling
02/03/2016, 09:27 AM
Cheapest vibration remover is a bag of sand under the pump.

steallife904
02/03/2016, 09:30 AM
I have a reef octopus RODC5500 as a return and it feeds a UV sterilizer.... Dead silent. I also have a Jeabo DC6000 running my skimmer.... have to say as far as sound it is equally as quiet, been running same length of time and was WAY cheaper.... have to say if you are looking to not drop a ton of money I would go with one of the Jebao DC pumps

danrobberg
02/03/2016, 10:07 AM
If you can swing the price a red dragon dc pump is dead silent. I have one running my skimmer and one running my return. Without seeing the air bubbles in the skimmer you wouldn't even know either are running even at a foot away. Dead silent.

wcharon
02/03/2016, 10:09 AM
Thanks... I appreciate your feedback.

wcharon
02/03/2016, 10:21 AM
If you can swing the price a red dragon dc pump is dead silent. I have one running my skimmer and one running my return. Without seeing the air bubbles in the skimmer you wouldn't even know either are running even at a foot away. Dead silent.

Looks great but i will have to swing a lot...

Logzor
02/03/2016, 12:00 PM
You nailed it TRMIV! THE HUM! OMG! I turn off my return pump and my wife is like, "is your tank even on?"

The struggle is real! Same issue here! Love mine though it's been running for 7 years.

sixpackgarage
02/03/2016, 12:02 PM
I love my Aqua Excel DC pump. It has a soft start and 5 or 6 settings.. uber quiet

HARLEYDAWG01
02/03/2016, 03:18 PM
I have a Reeflo gold (external). I have a 1/2" rubber mat under it. It helps.