PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor Help

zclain
02/02/2016, 07:03 PM
Hey guys new to the forum, Im having some trouble with my MRC CR-2 calcium reactor. A little background on the situation, the calcium reactor was initially on my 93g cube which is heavily stalked with sps and everything was pretty stable. I just recently plumbed 3 more tanks into it and now have a total system volume around 450g. Nothing has changed other than the addition of a few new frags as the other tanks were empty. Since then I have been having difficulty keeping my alkalinity up.

The effluent drip rate is pretty fast, if i turn it up any more it will almost be a solid stream, it is hooked up to an electronic regulator at one bubble per second which is controlled by my apex set to turn on at a pH of 6.9 and shut off at 6.8.

My only issue is that when I purchased the reactor used awhile back, the guy didn't know what media was inside the chambers so I didn't wanna drop the pH any lower and melt it, so maybe thats the issue? The pH isn't low enough to melt the media? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

DamonG
02/02/2016, 07:57 PM
Actually, you may want to take a look at my posts. I just did a thread very similar that was very helpful in my tuning(my continued tuning) of my reactor.. Here is the link:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2555576

Which Calcium reactor media do you use?

zclain
02/02/2016, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the link! As far as the media goes, I am not sure as i have not changed it since I purchased it used. I think I'm going to replace it relatively soon with reborn media or ARM. Haven't decided yet, what are you running?

DamonG
02/03/2016, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the link! As far as the media goes, I am not sure as i have not changed it since I purchased it used. I think I'm going to replace it relatively soon with reborn media or ARM. Haven't decided yet, what are you running?
No problem.. And I am running both arm and reborn. In the first chamber I am running like 8 lb of ARM coarse, and then 4lb of the reborn. In my secondary chamber, I am running another 4lb of reborn. And in the 1st chamber, I also am running a pound of neo mag..