PDA

View Full Version : red devil sp3 pump

shifty51008
02/03/2016, 06:02 AM
anyone try these pumps? I'm looking to replace my skimmer pump and this should work fine but wondering about the quality?

Vinny Kreyling
02/03/2016, 09:34 AM
There is a thread here somewhere, do a search.
When I read it I thought there was quite a difference in the pump specs.

SoloGarth
02/03/2016, 09:38 AM
I bought one to replace the aquabee on my deltec AP600. It worked well. It was a direct replacement and far cheaper than the deltec pump.

Navyblue
02/09/2016, 11:51 AM
Does the SP3 runs hot when used outside of water? Is it just lukewarm? Or would it hurt if you touch it for too long? How is the noise like?

I understand that the impeller cover is 100% identical with the Aquabee, but how about the screw thread on the outlet? I am hoping that everything UP 2000/1 will fit on the SP3.

SoloGarth
02/09/2016, 11:57 AM
The outlet has to be switched I believe. That was necessary for my skimmer at least.

It never ran hot that I noticed. Was always run externally. I find all these pumps noisy. This is the primary reason that I retired my deltec.

Navyblue
02/09/2016, 12:30 PM
Thanks SoloGarth for the info.

I had always run the aquabee in the water, so I have no idea how hot they were. But recently I started running it externally. I realised the top side of the pump (the side where the outlet is) is hot. The bottom and the side not so much. So I am wondering if this is how it was all along, or is it because of old age.

The pump is still working well, but I am battling a heat issue. If that is how all aquabee are, then it's pointless buying a new aquabee and may be I should try the SP3.

And may I ask how long had you run the aquabee before you have to replace it? And how long did you run the SP3?

SoloGarth
02/09/2016, 12:38 PM
The pump on my deltec was at least 9 years old.

Pumps do get warm when running externally. Do you have the means by which to measure the temp of the pump?

SoloGarth
02/09/2016, 12:38 PM
Also I noticed no difference in pump temp between the aquabee and SP3.

Navyblue
02/09/2016, 12:50 PM
Thanks again. I have no IR thermometer, but from my experience in electronic DIY heatsinking (5 sec touch test), that hot spot is definitely above 140ºF (60ºC). If a tub of bath water is that hot, I don't think anyone can sit in it. :D Other spots of the pump I can touch indefinitely without pain.

SoloGarth
02/09/2016, 03:45 PM
Thanks again. I have no IR thermometer, but from my experience in electronic DIY heatsinking (5 sec touch test), that hot spot is definitely above 140ºF (60ºC). If a tub of bath water is that hot, I don't think anyone can sit in it. :D Other spots of the pump I can touch indefinitely without pain.

Well the pump is not really delicate electronics haha. I'll take a temp reading of one of my sicce pumps that serve as a recirculating Rx. They are hot to the touch. They have been running a long time like that without any problem. This could serve as a baseline. If I have the time I'll drag out the deltec and measure the aquabee vs the red devil.

Navyblue
02/10/2016, 01:17 AM
I put a fan on the tank, it cools down the water, but it also cools down the pump. So I guess that shows how much heat gets transferred to the water even when the pump is running outside. It may be pointless asking how hot your pump runs because your water temperature is probably different mine, and there probably is nothing wrong with my pump.

SoloGarth
02/10/2016, 08:26 AM
I put a fan on the tank, it cools down the water, but it also cools down the pump. So I guess that shows how much heat gets transferred to the water even when the pump is running outside. It may be pointless asking how hot your pump runs because your water temperature is probably different mine, and there probably is nothing wrong with my pump.

Yeah I wouldn't think so. Pumps get hot when run externally. It is somewhat difficult to say when the temp becomes an issue though.

Cloud_strife
02/10/2016, 12:37 PM
I just bought one of these pumps to replace my ocean runner 2500 and it runs well and very silent. It says on the box you can run externally.... only thing I don't understand is it only gives air intake per hour and not the lph. So I didn't know how 750 lph air intake compared to the 2500lph on the ocean runner 2500

SoloGarth
02/10/2016, 01:59 PM
I just bought one of these pumps to replace my ocean runner 2500 and it runs well and very silent. It says on the box you can run externally.... only thing I don't understand is it only gives air intake per hour and not the lph. So I didn't know how 750 lph air intake compared to the 2500lph on the ocean runner 2500

750lph vs 2500 lph?

Do you mean air intake 750lph and water output 2500 lph?

Cloud_strife
02/10/2016, 04:46 PM
Sorry yes what I meant air vs flow

SoloGarth
02/10/2016, 04:48 PM
Ok. Well the red devil should have a flow rating as well. For example the one I have which replaced the aquabee I believe was rated at 2000l/h. The air intake rate is a separate value.

Navyblue
02/11/2016, 01:01 AM
The Aquabee pumps 2000L/H, that with its regular impeller. They are designed to move water. With a needle wheel impeller, they are designed for skimmer, designed to chop up air, and don't mover nearly as much water. With a needle wheel impeller, it only pumps about 500L/H of water (I measured it) along with 500L/H of air (spec, I have not measured it). The OR will be the same, with a needle wheel impeller it will not move nearly as much water as it is with a regular impeller.

Cloud_strife
02/11/2016, 08:49 AM
strange i have read the manual and checked the box over, just says air intake 750lph and nothing about flow. I think its more powerful than the ocean runner 2500 anyway.

Navyblue
02/11/2016, 09:12 AM
Skimmer don't generally have spec for water flow rate. I would take specification from Chinese manufacturer with a pinch of salt too. It is not necessarily more powerful, but I would say they should be in the ballpark.