PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer opinions

sm fragman
02/03/2016, 08:09 AM
Hello every one I am going to be setting up a 120 system lps and a few sps, I tend to feed heavy. I wanted some feed back on a few skimmers I was thinking about. Lifereef 3vs24, bubble king 150 dc and Skimz external recirculated model. Anyone with knowledge of these please feel free to comment on them please to help me make my mind up on best option. Thank you

Pablos RSM 450
02/03/2016, 08:17 AM
Hello every one I am going to be setting up a 120 system lps and a few sps, I tend to feed heavy. I wanted some feed back on a few skimmers I was thinking about. Lifereef 3vs24, bubble king 150 dc and Skimz external recirculated model. Anyone with knowledge of these please feel free to comment on them please to help me make my mind up on best option. Thank you

Brother I just purchased the Lifereef 24 inch and it is the noisiest skimmer I have owned. I have owned Vertex, Red Sea, ASM, Reef Octopus, RLSS, Aquamaxx, and now Lifereef. I strongly recommend the RLSS it is a dc skimmer and it is very quiet. Mine started pulling skim from day 1 so far it is the best skimmer I have owned, the R8i or Db8i should be enough for your tank.

sm fragman
02/03/2016, 09:54 AM
I'll check it out thank I know the sucking air noise had one years ago but still set and forget,,,,checked that one out gonna stick with one of the three mention ed

sm fragman
02/03/2016, 12:53 PM
Bump

JohnnyHildo
02/03/2016, 01:31 PM
i have a 120 standard and need a skimmer too so i'm curious what people are recommending. the aquamaxx co-2 was the direction i was leaning...

mandarin417
02/03/2016, 02:31 PM
I am running the Nyos 160 on a 120 gallon heavily fed tank and I think it is amazing. Just did a short review - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2556091

gcarroll
02/03/2016, 02:40 PM
Lifereef 3vs24, bubble king 150 dc and Skimz external recirculated modelIf the three were sitting on the table and you were told you could have any one you chose....

biecacka
02/03/2016, 04:01 PM
Love my Bubble King double cone 200. It's been working hard since I put it on the tank. Quality is nice. Runs silent and the pump is adjustable in increments of 1 thus making tuning it more simple.

Corey

sm fragman
02/03/2016, 04:36 PM
Gcarroll very good way of looking at it lol bubble king thanks corey

Drae
02/03/2016, 04:39 PM
Bubble King skimmers are nice. Have you considered ATB? The 840 would be awesome. Cheaper than the BK but I bet it would match it's performance. Jmo

Reel North
02/03/2016, 07:36 PM
I have a 36" lifereef. It's quiet. I don't know how he can say it's noisy. You can use whatever pump you want. Which means you don't need to buy a new skimmer when they change your pump model, and then your pump breakers lol. I would never own anything but a lifereef ever again

Pablos RSM 450
02/03/2016, 07:53 PM
I have a 36" lifereef. It's quiet. I don't know how he can say it's noisy. You can use whatever pump you want. Which means you don't need to buy a new skimmer when they change your pump model, and then your pump breakers lol. I would never own anything but a lifereef ever again

Here is how noisy it is and a side by side video compared to the RLSS taken today.

https://youtu.be/2i39VaTQ3WE

I do like the fact that you can purchase any pump for it.

DamonG
02/03/2016, 08:39 PM
Lol, yeah, that's loud... But not out of the ordinary.. You can, if you want, buy a skimz silencer from brs. Or, you can just buy a skimz skimmer. They are extremely quiet, especially the venturi part, no noise at all(at least mine, as I can only speak of mine and those I've seen on YouTube).. But, it's by far the quietest skimmer I've ever owned, or seen in my 20 plus years of saltwater..

sm fragman
02/03/2016, 09:23 PM
All good info guys thanks

Johnseye
02/04/2016, 09:48 AM
I have a Life Reef 24. It's noisy compared to the SRO, Aquamaxx and Nyos skimmers I've used. The air intake from the venturi is what makes it loud. Years ago the air intake was routed from the cup which muted the sound somewhat, but it's still loud by comparison. If it's an in sump you also need to factor in the wattage of the pump you'll be using and its impact on water temp. It does a great job skimming, but louder and hotter than other options.

I also have a video up on the sound and it's comparison to the Aquamaxx, which I thought was loud until I heard the LifeReef. Let me know if you want that link, but I think you get the idea from Pablo's video.

If I were to buy a new one today it would probably be the BK. Problem is with the BK, I think the mini BK skimmer for your size tank has been out of stock for at least 6 months. You could go with the double cone BK though.

WaReefer458
02/04/2016, 10:37 AM
they arent cheap but in my opinion the aquac ev series is my go to...