PDA

View Full Version : Hydroids - Any Experience with Hydroxs to Rid Tank of Them?

dja1980
02/03/2016, 04:35 PM
I've seen a few mentions of Hydroxs to rid tanks of hydroids, but a search on here doesn't turn up much information. I'm at a point that I'm considering bleaching my tank, so I guess giving this a try can't hurt anything. However, for as many posts I see of people battling hydroids, I'm surprised that I haven't seen more reviews on this product... either for or against. Is there anyone out there that has experience with this?

I've quoted the below thread a few times in other hydroid threads, but I've never received feedback as to whether or not it worked. The product description almost sounds too good to be true... makes me a little skeptical...

I used a product called Hydroxs to get rid of my very bad hydroid problem. I had the white kind with the polyp at the end, looks kinda like a feather duster. I setup 2 tanks to deal with them. Hydroxs is meant to be used as a whole tank treatment prior to adding livestock like seahorses. I used it as a dip at twice the suggested dose for a few hours at a time. It took about 4 dips as well as manual removal to get rid of them. I'm so glad I found this product as I was ready to throw in the towel and get out of the hobby I had them so bad.

If you are interested contact Carol Keen at Fish to the nth
http://www.fishtothenth.com/Hydroxs.htm

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2420151&highlight=hydroxs

drew2007
02/06/2016, 02:37 AM
I'm interested as well. I have colonial hydroids and I'm considering trying this product. They claim it's totally safe and won't harm corals. It's expensive though.

Mussin
02/06/2016, 10:31 AM
I'd like to know as well...

Mwhreefer
02/06/2016, 12:38 PM
I bought a Filefish for a slight Aiptasia problem, not only did he wipe out the pest anemones the Filefish also took care of about 15-20 colonial hydroids on the corner of one of my live rocks. I have not seen any more hydroids or Aiptasia in DT since I bought the Filefish, the good thing is the Filefish eats the frozen foods I feed my tank, I have never seen him mess with any of the corals in my tank. I know the system still has aiptasia because I have a few in my sump between the baffles before the refugium.

Crush Coral
02/06/2016, 02:22 PM
Rubbermaid makes a submersible grout cleaning battery powered scrubber I use to scrub my rocks occasionally. Menards sells them. Like $16. I never mean to wipe mine out because I like them but when I scrub the rocks it completely decimate the hydroids.

dja1980
02/08/2016, 12:35 PM
I contacted FishNth to get a quote for Hydroxs... for 150g treatment, it comes to $120 + $5 shipping. Carol said I would be treating my tank once a week for a month.

I'm still considering other options (including bleaching the tank and starting over), but at least the price gives me something to think about.

If anyone has any experience at all with Hydroxs... please share!

dja1980
02/16/2016, 09:38 AM
I'm putting in my order for Hydroxs today... we'll see how it goes!

drew2007
02/18/2016, 07:34 PM
I'm putting in my order for Hydroxs today... we'll see how it goes!

Let me know how it works out please! I got my quote from Carol and I need honest results before I drop $100. Thanks! Message me anytime.

dja1980
02/19/2016, 11:12 AM
Will do... I plan to document the process with photos. I'll link here once I get started!

dja1980
02/26/2016, 02:58 PM
Let me know how it works out please! I got my quote from Carol and I need honest results before I drop $100. Thanks! Message me anytime.
Just FYI... I plan to hold off on starting the treatment until after we get back from vacation on 3/13. If I were to start it now, the tank would have to go a span of 11 days without treatment, and I think it would be best to start it when I know I can stick to a strict 7 day schedule for the full 4 weeks... per the instructions.

dja1980
03/18/2016, 10:05 AM
For anyone interested in following along, I started the Hydroxs treatment on Sunday...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2568141