PDA

View Full Version : Small size calcium reactor

Renzema
02/03/2016, 08:18 PM
I am in a position where I already have a controller, ph probe, co2 tank, and regulator. I know most people suggest just dosing a nano, but all I need to finish is a calcium reactor to not have to use 2 part. Luckily this isn't a rush since I haven't started adding corals, but like to be ahead of what my nano will need.

My main problem is SPACE. this is a 34g cube with a nice sump about 10g. leaving me with 19"x5.5"x20"(l x w x h) of space along the side of it. The height would have to include the ph probe. I can mount the tank out of the way, so I just have to find a reactor that would fit this area. I am not wanting to put it outside of the stand since I have gone to great lengths to have a very clean look. Everything is situated cleanly inside.

I think the AquaMaxx S-NANO Calcium Reactor would fit, but what is anyone's experience with this? I am open to any other options.

Thank you for the information.

Renzema
02/04/2016, 12:00 PM
Anyone?

Lincutis
02/04/2016, 12:11 PM
check Geosreef.com, they have a good nano but not sure of the dimensions.

gcarroll
02/04/2016, 12:31 PM
My buddy jrpdriver has one of the Aquamaxx units on his 50g and he is very happy with the results.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2125739&highlight=50g+cadlights

Renzema
02/04/2016, 01:14 PM
Thank you for the responses. I'll look into both.

SoloGarth
02/04/2016, 01:25 PM
Perhaps modifying a small recirculating Rx made for a different purpose? The Aquamaxx looks like a fine option and not super expensive though. My concern would be instability. I find the small the Rx the less stable it is. This is why I upgraded my RO to an MTC minical.

Renzema
02/04/2016, 01:53 PM
Modifying a large one might be the best option. I can modify my stand to gain more height, but the width and length is set.

What do you mean by instability? If it is monitored by ph probe and a controller. Shouldn't that negate any danger to the tank. The only thing I think that could trip this up would be if the ph probe was to fail. I am going to have tight tolerances set that will kill the pump going into the tank. This should at least keep the tank safe in case of any major component has a problem.

SoloGarth
02/04/2016, 02:04 PM
Well IMO a calcium Rx should only be used with a consistent supply pump such as a masterflex. What I meant by stability is the inherent ease of attaining good result. The minical is much more consistent and easier to control than the RO was. I think this is likely a combination of several factors but a main one is increased size and an effluent chamber.