PDA

View Full Version : NSW and Alk

Reeferz412
02/04/2016, 10:11 AM
So I have access to a very reliable source of clean NSW but the alk is 7.2ish or so. I would like it to be 8-9. It's stored under a shaded area with a powerhead running in it. Its a 275 gallon storage and it takes me a month or so to use it all. I also wait about a week to use it. Can I dose Kalk into the storage so that the Alk is where I want it to be before a water change? I also dose Kalk as top off on my systems.

jason2459
02/04/2016, 10:19 AM
Personally I wouldn't modify the NSW at all. Then monitor what it does to your tank alkalinity and adjust as necessary your dosing to your tank to get to the target you want. ~7dkh would be perfectly fine to run at as you can see NSW runs around 7dkh. Lower in some places and slightly higher in others.

Reeferz412
02/04/2016, 10:24 AM
Thank you for your input Jason. I will continue to dose like I usually do then. It just bothers me its not at 8-9. But thats the toss up using NSW.

bertoni
02/04/2016, 06:25 PM
You can dose it up if you prefer. Either way is fine.

Reeferz412
02/04/2016, 06:27 PM
You can dose it up if you prefer. Either way is fine.

Well I wanted to know if it was safe to do so, so thank you for answering that. Have you personally done this?

bertoni
02/04/2016, 06:42 PM
I have dosed up salt mixes many times, but I've never used natural seawater. It'd be rather pricy, ironically, even though I live fairly near the ocean.

machodik
02/05/2016, 08:22 AM
I use NSW and back to ASW because I have observed that some critters like snails appeared and the No3 and Po4 of my NSW in AWC reservoir went up which I suspect may be some organism in the NSW die off and release nutrients.

Furthermore , our NSW source here should not be as clean as you have over there , should have some pollutant due to congestion and industrial factories all over the country.

Just my thoughts .

Cheers,

MD

Ebone
02/05/2016, 08:54 AM
I use NSW and the salinityis always a few ticks low.... by time I bring it up with reef crystals the alk is about where i need it to be and my doser takes care of rest