PDA

View Full Version : Generic ph Probe

sith8888
02/04/2016, 11:47 AM
Is there any issue using "generic" ph probe for Apex. I don't have a need for exact ph measurement just looking for trends. I think as long as it has a BNC connector it should work but I wanted to make sure.

For $15 I would add the probe to the tank.... just because. :lolspin:
http://www.amazon.com/Electrode-Connector-Aquarium-Control-Sensor/dp/B00TZS6Z4I/ref=sr_1_3?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1454606625&sr=1-3&keywords=ph+probe+BNC

kurt_n
02/04/2016, 11:15 PM
Any pH probe with a BNC connector will work with the Apex.

As with most things in life, often times you get what you pay for - so don't expect really cheap ones to last very long. I've seen many reviews of cheapo probes being DOA because they were shipped dry.

gus6464
02/05/2016, 01:06 AM
The BRS ph probe is better than the neptune one.

Member No. 1
02/05/2016, 04:37 AM
The BRS ph probe is better than the neptune one.

Please explain why? I would like to know.
I highly doubt either make their own probes, just purchase and resell rebranded (their own logo) from a reputable manufacturer.

sith8888
02/05/2016, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the info. I normally don't bother with ph in my reef tank but I can monitor it with the Apex so it might help to see trends.

BlackTip
02/05/2016, 10:25 AM
As with most things in life, often times you get what you pay for

That couldn't be farther from the truth in today's globalized economy.

disc1
02/05/2016, 01:40 PM
If you are going to leave it in the tank all the time then the thing you really want to look for is a "double junction" probe. They will cost more but will hold up a lot better when constantly submerged in seawater.

ChadO
02/06/2016, 12:31 AM
There's a BRStv episode that goes over lab grade pH probes that might be worth checking out .

kurt_n
02/06/2016, 12:41 AM
That couldn't be farther from the truth in today's globalized economy.

At the risk of going off topic... so are you implying that they're all top-notch quality regardless of price, or they're all junk regardless of price? :)

Big price tag does not always equal good quality. But little price tag rarely equals good quality.

But to the original poster... I've used the BRS, Neptune-branded, and Pinpoint pH probes. My unofficial ranking is #1 Pinpoint, #2 Neptune, #3 BRS. They were all good probes and lasted well over a year, but the Pinpoint I'm running now seems to be lasting longer and when I calibrate it, it's hardly drifted at all - in comparison to the others. But you won't go wrong buying any of those three.