PDA

View Full Version : Newbie ?s

mattruggiero
02/04/2016, 01:59 PM
Hey Guys,

I just got my tax return and I'm excited to start purchasing the equipment I need to start my mixed reef tank. Now, I'm brand new to this hobby but have read a good amount on the forums here. So for all of your people out there I give you a big :thumbsup:

I have a couple of questions that I'm finding hard to get a definitive answer to and seeking your advice.

Tank size: 125 gallon 72"x24"x17"

1. I have two tanks sitting around my house. A 20 and 10 gallon. Can I use the 20 gallon for my equipment sump and the 10 gallon as a refugium? If so, how should they be connected and how does the design of that work?

2. The tank has been drilled for dual overflows. Is it better to go with a herbie, dorso or bean animal design? The bulkheads are 1.25" and 1" on both sides.

Any information is helpful!

Thanks.

AUFishGuy
02/04/2016, 02:11 PM
1.) The short answer is no. Your sump will need to be large enough that if the return pump were to stop it could hold all of the water that would flow out of the tank. If you can fit a 90 gallon under the stand then do it. Go as big as you can with your sump

2.) Go with Bean Animal if you can but Herbie is also fine, just not as failsafe. If you go bean animal you will have to run your return over the back. Many here will advise against this but i know many who do it without problems

Greybeard
02/04/2016, 02:20 PM
In the long run, you'd probably be happier if you acquired something larger to use as a sump. For a 125g tank, I'd probably see if I could find a used 55g tank or something similar. Silicone in a couple pieces of plexiglass, and you're all set. I used a 55g tank as a sump for years, worked great. A local reef group, or even craigslist, should turn up one at a reasonable price.

If you do end up using the 20 and 10, use the 20 for the sump, create a separate return pump section. completely stand alone. Then, drill a bulkhead in the side of the 10g and position it so that it can gravity flow back into the 20g sump. Either split some flow from your main return to fill it, or drop in a small dedicated pump to supply it.

Durso overflows work fine, they can be noisy. If noise doesn't matter, that's going to be the cheapest and easiest setup. If noise does matter, with the holes you have, I'd do a herbie with a dry emergency drain. 2x 1" holes with gate valves, running at full siphon, adjusted so that there's a trickle running down the 1st 1.25" standpipe. The last 1.25" standpipe should be just a bit taller, so that it remains dry, unless the other drains are plugged. With a limited volume sump, be careful in making sure that your siphon inlets are high enough that a power outage doesn't overflow the sump.

One incredibly important, but often overlooked point: This is a hobby... have fun with it. If it's not fun, why bother?

mattruggiero
02/04/2016, 03:49 PM
1.) The short answer is no. Your sump will need to be large enough that if the return pump were to stop it could hold all of the water that would flow out of the tank. If you can fit a 90 gallon under the stand then do it. Go as big as you can with your sump

2.) Go with Bean Animal if you can but Herbie is also fine, just not as failsafe. If you go bean animal you will have to run your return over the back. Many here will advise against this but i know many who do it without problems

Thanks AUFishGuy!

The issue that I'm finding is that most 55 gallon tanks are too tall. Unfortunately the cabinet below the tank is only 24 inches tall before it reaches the bottom of the tank. I feel that I will need a decent amount of headroom to clean the sump and equipment although I really have no idea. I'll try and find a 40 gallon to fit my needs.

I don't mind running the return behind the back. Question though, a bean animal uses 3 pipes.. so I assume I'd plug the 4th hole?

Thanks for the advice!

mattruggiero
02/04/2016, 03:53 PM
In the long run, you'd probably be happier if you acquired something larger to use as a sump. For a 125g tank, I'd probably see if I could find a used 55g tank or something similar. Silicone in a couple pieces of plexiglass, and you're all set. I used a 55g tank as a sump for years, worked great. A local reef group, or even craigslist, should turn up one at a reasonable price.

If you do end up using the 20 and 10, use the 20 for the sump, create a separate return pump section. completely stand alone. Then, drill a bulkhead in the side of the 10g and position it so that it can gravity flow back into the 20g sump. Either split some flow from your main return to fill it, or drop in a small dedicated pump to supply it.

Durso overflows work fine, they can be noisy. If noise doesn't matter, that's going to be the cheapest and easiest setup. If noise does matter, with the holes you have, I'd do a herbie with a dry emergency drain. 2x 1" holes with gate valves, running at full siphon, adjusted so that there's a trickle running down the 1st 1.25" standpipe. The last 1.25" standpipe should be just a bit taller, so that it remains dry, unless the other drains are plugged. With a limited volume sump, be careful in making sure that your siphon inlets are high enough that a power outage doesn't overflow the sump.

One incredibly important, but often overlooked point: This is a hobby... have fun with it. If it's not fun, why bother?

Thanks for the advice on how to pipe the 20 and 10 gallon tanks. It seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth. I have looked into buying plexiglass off craigslist but so far I'm not finding much. I plan to keep looking though.

I learn something new everyday. I never thought about having dry emergency drain. Makes a lot of sense. Definitely something to consider!

haha.. Yes! I plan to make this hobby as fun as I can. Right now it's overwhelming with all the information out there but I'm sure once it's up and running.. it'll feel great!

Greybeard
02/04/2016, 04:26 PM
<SNIP>the cabinet below the tank is only 24 inches tall before it reaches the bottom of the tank.</SNIP>

Ugh. I'd probably be looking real hard for a way to lift that stand. Cut the bottom out, build a frame it can sit on, something. 24" is going to limit you in all kinds of ways. Just a few inches would make a huge difference. My recent stand build is 30" tall, and gives me 27" inside height. I _really_ wanted the tank low... I love the look, but I think about it every time I have to crawl in there for something.

A 40 breeder would be _way_ better than the 20 you were talking about, even if you don't lift the stand. Enough room for a sock, nice stable water height area for skimmer, reactors, whatever, and a small return pump compartment. With a fairly large tank and a smaller sump, you might consider an external return pump, save some sump space, add less heat to the water, and get a bigger, better pump. Drilling a 3/4 or 1" bulkhead in the end of a 40 breeder isn't a big deal.

mattruggiero
02/04/2016, 05:11 PM
Ugh. I'd probably be looking real hard for a way to lift that stand. Cut the bottom out, build a frame it can sit on, something. 24" is going to limit you in all kinds of ways. Just a few inches would make a huge difference. My recent stand build is 30" tall, and gives me 27" inside height. I _really_ wanted the tank low... I love the look, but I think about it every time I have to crawl in there for something.

A 40 breeder would be _way_ better than the 20 you were talking about, even if you don't lift the stand. Enough room for a sock, nice stable water height area for skimmer, reactors, whatever, and a small return pump compartment. With a fairly large tank and a smaller sump, you might consider an external return pump, save some sump space, add less heat to the water, and get a bigger, better pump. Drilling a 3/4 or 1" bulkhead in the end of a 40 breeder isn't a big deal.

I know! The 24 inches has been problematic and quiet annoying. I purchased the tank and stand because it was a great deal and figured that I could learn about how to make it work. I wish that I knew what I know now! Did I just quote Rod Stewart? lol.

I haven't thought about cutting the plywood at the bottom of the stand.. I could get about 5-6 more inches or so but I don't know what it'll do to the structural integrity of the stand. Last thing I want is 125 gallons of water crashing down into my living room and having an upset wife!

I like your idea of running an external pump to save some space. Do you have any recommendations? I've primarily looked at internals only.

mattruggiero
02/04/2016, 07:44 PM
I know! The 24 inches has been problematic and quiet annoying. I purchased the tank and stand because it was a great deal and figured that I could learn about how to make it work. I wish that I knew what I know now! Did I just quote Rod Stewart? lol.

I haven't thought about cutting the plywood at the bottom of the stand.. I could get about 5-6 more inches or so but I don't know what it'll do to the structural integrity of the stand. Last thing I want is 125 gallons of water crashing down into my living room and having an upset wife!

I like your idea of running an external pump to save some space. Do you have any recommendations? I've primarily looked at internals only.

Sorry for the misinformation. I just double checked and while the height of the door reaches 24"... the actual height tank to the tank 29" inches from the bottom. I might be able to fit a 55 gallon in there since they are typically about 20 inches tall.

Greybeard
02/05/2016, 08:48 AM
29" is a manageable height. That couple of inches makes a huge difference.