PDA

View Full Version : Skimz SN143 Help

Natural Blue
02/04/2016, 03:33 PM
I've had a new Skimz SN143 running in my red sea reefer for a little over a week now and I'm having the hardest time dialing this thing in. I've searched and read some tips on setting it up but I'm not having any luck.

It seems a common setup is to:
- set the gate half way
- open the air valve 3/4 turn open from the closed position
- close gate valve until bubbles are between the trim on the neck of skimmer and bottom of cup
- wait several hours and then close the air valve until bubbles are in the cup which after 24 hours will start foaming

I've done this multiple times but it just doesn't produce the foam, even after 24 hours. I thought I had it all setup producing some foam the other day but the foam would never break over into the cup after 24 hours. I messed with it and ended up just going back to square one.

I read comments of people pulling skim in just 24 hours even on new tanks, but wondered if I just don't have much to skim and that's the issue. The rea sea reefer 250 has two 225 micron filter socks and i have a small bio-load with two small clowns, 6 snails, and some GSP. The day I got it to foam up I got a flare up of diatoms but the snails knocked it out quick.

Any advice?

dendrite
02/04/2016, 04:43 PM
There's a thread on this forum entitled skimz skimmer club and some of the comments or subthreads discuss tuning the skimz skimmers

Natural Blue
02/04/2016, 04:46 PM
There's a thread on this forum entitled skimz skimmer club and some of the comments or subthreads discuss tuning the skimz skimmers

I did see that and even posted there but I guess I got impatient after no response today and seeing that some posts go about a week before a reply. I may need to make time to read that entire thread.

dendrite
02/04/2016, 05:10 PM
one of the posts contains a link where they discuss starting with high flow on the pump, open gate and wide open air, then closing down the air until you hear a change in the sound of the pump. That's the sweet spot for the air valve. It's about 60 to 75% closed. Next adjust the gate until the water level is somewhere around the collar. Then wait, and adjust the gate going forward for wet or dry. Did this from memory but you can check my accuracy but those were the basics

Natural Blue
02/05/2016, 09:20 PM
I'm about to give up on this Skimz, so far the worst purchase I've made. I've tried several different suggestions and waited 24 hours each time to see what it would do, it just won't foam up. Lots of bubbles but they never foam up and rise up the cone and into the cup.

dendrite
02/06/2016, 09:25 AM
try turning the air way down 80 % or so to get the smallest most consistent bubbles you can. Apparently these skimmers work better that way. If all else fails give BRS a call. They rep for skimz and have always been helpful on a variety of topics. I have a skimz monzter 203 and it has proven to be the best skimmer at the best price for a 180 gallon reef

Natural Blue
02/07/2016, 10:40 PM
I resisted the urge to continually mess with and tune the skimmer this weekend and got it tuned to the best of my ability and left if for 48 hours. This afternoon I tried fine tuning the gate and air valve to see little to no change.

Here is a video of the skimmer. Let me know if you see anything wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZIUPKNx_Rk

DamonG
02/08/2016, 02:39 AM
I posted a reply I the skimz club thread for you...[emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4]

Seeady66
02/08/2016, 03:52 AM
You have the water to high in the body drop it till it is just above the bayonet on the cup close the air till the pump cavatats then open till the pump sounds normal and then leave it don't touch it.leave it to break in.

SpSChief85
02/08/2016, 04:50 AM
Just put my skimz sm203 in my sump last night it broke in literally in minutes very easy to dial in. They key is having it running in the right depth of water between 8 to 9.5 seems best

Natural Blue
02/08/2016, 09:27 AM
You have the water to high in the body drop it till it is just above the bayonet on the cup close the air till the pump cavatats then open till the pump sounds normal and then leave it don't touch it.leave it to break in.

It's been running about 2 weeks now shouldn't it be broken in? I've done that before but after 24hrs the bubbles just sit there, no foam.

Pump speed is set to 7 of 8 speed adjustments.

It's sitting in exactly 8'' of water.

Ssteve
10/18/2016, 01:28 AM
Any updates on what you ended up doing?

Natural Blue
10/18/2016, 02:06 PM
Any updates on what you ended up doing?

Yeah, I took the air adjustment screw almost completely out and it works like a champ! It's screwed in just enough to keep from falling out.

Ssteve
10/18/2016, 02:51 PM
How high do you have the water, what power are you running the pump at etc?

Natural Blue
10/18/2016, 07:54 PM
How high do you have the water, what power are you running the pump at etc?

8" of water and pump speed 7 of 8