PDA

View Full Version : 46 Bowfront stocking list

Jimmer12
02/04/2016, 05:36 PM
I'm going to be getting water in my 46 bowfront display and my QT this weekend and I want to start planning out some livestock purchases. I'm interested in the following fish:

Ocellaris clownfish
Royal Gramma
Flame Angel
A wrasse of some kind, haven't settled on one in particular

How would these fish do together, and is there a certain order that would be best to add them?

Also I dont know much about what to get for a cleanup crew. I love the look of skunk cleaner shrimp, but not sure what else I should add.

Thanks
Jim

Jimmer12
02/04/2016, 05:37 PM
Oh and are there any other small fish that you would recommend to add to this group?

Deberber
02/04/2016, 07:46 PM
Don't see that big of an issue with any of the stocking, but flame angels can be a bully and eat corals, hit or miss. So definitely he is added last.

As for the wrasse, if you want a smaller one, just my personal favorite is a McCoskers flasher wrasses. However, I'll let someone who knows more about them help you out with that.

Royal Gramma will be fine and the single OC will be fine as well. As far as another fish if you wanted a 5th, perhaps a firefish but that may be risky just because he's very peaceful. But Baggai Cardinals are nice and should be fine.

CUC:
I personally like snails over a lot of hermit crabs. Snails, turbo snails and astea snails for rocks, and then nassarius snails for the sand bed. If you would like some hermit crabs, I'd say go with scarlet. They stay small and usually are pretty good about not killing snails. Skunk Cleaner shrimp are great for your tank. You could even have a couple in there if you would like or try to house a few types of shrimp together in harmony, such as a fire shrimp.

thegrun
02/04/2016, 08:08 PM
You will almost certainly have issues with the Flame Angel in anything under a 75 gallon tank. When they feel confined they almost always take their aggression out on their tank mates.

Jimmer12
02/04/2016, 08:39 PM
Don't see that big of an issue with any of the stocking, but flame angels can be a bully and eat corals, hit or miss. So definitely he is added last.

As for the wrasse, if you want a smaller one, just my personal favorite is a McCoskers flasher wrasses. However, I'll let someone who knows more about them help you out with that.

Royal Gramma will be fine and the single OC will be fine as well. As far as another fish if you wanted a 5th, perhaps a firefish but that may be risky just because he's very peaceful. But Baggai Cardinals are nice and should be fine.

CUC:
I personally like snails over a lot of hermit crabs. Snails, turbo snails and astea snails for rocks, and then nassarius snails for the sand bed. If you would like some hermit crabs, I'd say go with scarlet. They stay small and usually are pretty good about not killing snails. Skunk Cleaner shrimp are great for your tank. You could even have a couple in there if you would like or try to house a few types of shrimp together in harmony, such as a fire shrimp.

I like the mcCoskers wrasse, i havent seen any locally, only sixline wrasse. i may have to order one.

Jimmer12
02/04/2016, 08:41 PM
You will almost certainly have issues with the Flame Angel in anything under a 75 gallon tank. When they feel confined they almost always take their aggression out on their tank mates.

thats the one fish i'm on the fence about. i love the look of them but i'm hearing a lot of conflicting info. some people say a 3 foot tank is fine, others dont. I'll hold off for now.

ClownFishGuy6
02/04/2016, 08:49 PM
For the CUC you should get a red legged hermit crab... Get about 5 they graze on the algae on your rocks none stop, atleast that's what mine do. And get maybe 2 turbo snails. And one more thing. Your tank has a good amount of fish. You can add about 1 or maybe 2 small ones more. So I would say to get another clown with the one your getting as another fish

Jimmer12
02/04/2016, 08:57 PM
For the CUC you should get a red legged hermit crab... Get about 5 they graze on the algae on your rocks none stop, atleast that's what mine do. And get maybe 2 turbo snails. And one more thing. Your tank has a good amount of fish. You can add about 1 or maybe 2 small ones more. So I would say to get another clown with the one your getting as another fish

I've read that clowns can be quite territorial, and should be added last. Is this true?

Deberber
02/04/2016, 09:04 PM
I've read that clowns can be quite territorial, and should be added last. Is this true?

Yes and yes. Some people can keep pairs without any problem, others can ruin a tank. Just my advice, I'd recommend against it if you want to have a more peaceful fish.

dustinkimpel
02/04/2016, 09:07 PM
I've never had an aggressive flame Angel... They do like coral though.

Dkuhlmann
02/05/2016, 06:13 AM

I agree completely with this :thumbsup: I second the others on not adding the Flame Angel. If you want an angel I have the Cherub Angel and it would be fine in your tank. If you get one I recommend adding them last as they can be aggressive towards newcomers.

I highly recommend the McCosker's wrasse just make sure you get a male. Mine is a tank favorite. Also recommend the Golden Midas Blenny, fantastic fish. They swim in the middle of the water column most of the day. They will also find a hole in a rock to call home. It's fun watching them as they don't have an air bladder like most fish so they swim differently. It's also cool to watch them back into their hole and then they sit in there watching the tank. I really love both of these fish but my Golden Midas Blenny is my all time favorite fish!

As for the clowns I agree with a pair and for less aggressive clowns get any of the color morphs of Ocellaris or Percula's.

brianr24
02/05/2016, 07:07 PM
Yellow clown goby