PDA

View Full Version : Sharks for 550 gallon?

VanceL
02/04/2016, 06:39 PM
So I've started building my dream tank and the space that I have to fill will make a tank with a footprint of about 7'x4'. I have been keeping reefs for well over 10 years and I love the movement of lots and lots of little fish, but I kinda wish my fish were pets like they used to be when I started this hobby, rather than just adding movement and activity to the reef.

We have been toying around with the idea of maybe just adding a pair of sharks, but there is so much conflicting information on tank size and gallons. Im not looking for sharks that I will have to rehome and I want the tank to be suitable for the entire span of the animals lives. My preference would be eppies but those are what I find the most conflicting information about. Maybe due to the smaller species not seen often in the trade anymore?

Is this a plausible permanent home for a pair of sharks? Thank you in advance for any advice, in my favor or not. I really want to make sure i am prepared to care for them for the full twenty or so years that they live.

Dmorty217
02/04/2016, 08:18 PM
You could do a pair of Eppies in a 550g. Reefwise can source you captive bred ones.

alprazo
02/05/2016, 12:20 PM
Eppies are a good choice.

VanceL
02/13/2016, 12:53 PM
So the consensus is this should be fine? No one is going to flame me because marinebreeders recommends 12x5 for a breeding pair.

Dmorty217
02/14/2016, 08:39 AM
No one will flame you and if they do I bet they have a smaller tank than you do, so it really doesn't matter what they have to say

BlueMac92
02/14/2016, 09:54 PM
Bryan (reefwise) has a juvie right now.....