PDA

View Full Version : Help Me decide

kentlighting
02/04/2016, 07:57 PM
So I'm adding automatic water change to my 90g. I travel a lot for work so it'll be helpful to my girlfriend to not have to do it.

Right now I am dosing BRS 2 part using APEX dos system with ddr. with around 100ml of each solution each day.

I want to use Dos for my water change.

My thoughts are, get a second dos for water change and continue doing 2 part. or get away from 2 part, use my current dos for WC and add a calcium rx from skimz. Im looking at Skimz Monster CM113.

when all is said and done, both come out to roughly the same price-ish. with the skimz option being a bit more expensive.

I don't have much coral now, but eventually would like to add more.

So what do you all think?

RedStangGA
02/05/2016, 12:12 PM
Yes, if your GF does WC's for you then you should marry her.

Wait, that wasn't the question?

I used the DOS for AWC on my 60 cube for nearly a year and it was the best year of my reefing life. It worked great for me. Started out changing 1gal per day but cut it back to about .25gal per day as I wasn't seeing any real benefit to the larger amount. Very easy to setup. I calibrated the DOS every couple of months and measured salinity on the tank monthly.

FWIW, ran a calcium reactor on my 60 cube and I would say don't do it unless you use a good peristaltic pump. My flow varied greatly and I'd have to flush out the needle valve used to control the flow. Suppose I could have tried throttling back the input from the MJ1200 I supplied it with and might do that when we get into the next house and set everything back up.

Good luck!

scubadan206
02/06/2016, 10:47 PM
Use a Genisis renew for your auto waterchange. It's the only thing on the market built specifically for that function. The DOS is a great tool, but it is not reliable for this type of use.
I would suspect that something else will come out soon since they have the market cornered right now.