PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead recomendation

75greefer
02/04/2016, 09:40 PM
As we all know when we get into this hobby, we are always looking to change how we do things.
Well my latest project is to change my 20gal quarantine from a HOB Overflow to drilling holes in tank installing Bulkheads and PVC piping instead of hose.
My question is what size holes should I drill for overflow and return?
I have searched throughout these forums but all potential answers are for much larger tanks. Thanks in advance.

Member No. 1
02/05/2016, 04:45 AM
Just curious, if its a QT tank, why would you need it drilled? You planning on plumbing 2 QT tanks together?
But to answer your question, the size bulkhead will be determined on how much water you plan on flowing. Use your return pump output, then size the bulkhead accordingly. But to be on the safe side, go one size up.

75greefer
02/05/2016, 08:50 AM
So I do not have to worry about loosing syphon to HOB overhang. Also making it a nicer install in case I end up starting another DP with it. I am using a Mag 3 pump which is rated for 350 gph so looking to drill to accommodate that return.
I am thinking .75 for drain and .50 for return.

Capiross1
05/28/2016, 11:48 AM
Sure you already did this but bulk reef supply list the appropriate size bulk heads when you go under there glass drill bit section