PDA

View Full Version : Rodi - upgrade or replace

Reel North
02/04/2016, 11:49 PM
I have a vertex puratek deluxe 100 gpd. I'm running 150 psi with the booster, which is crazy, but it pumps out around 120 gpd.

My unit is 2 years old, and over 2 weeks I do a 50-75 g water change and add 40 gallons of replacement RO water to my ATO.

I'm looking to add 2 more membranes, to get to a 6 membrane.

I'm wondering if I'm good to just add a couple of BRS canisters, to add a carbon block and another DI.

This would save me a pile of money over the BRS with booster, but at the same time, I only have one TDS meter on the puratek, which I dont trust. The BRS 6 stage has a dual built in.

What is your experience upgrading the puratek? Worth it? Or just buy the BRS and sell my puratek.

Opus123
02/05/2016, 12:01 AM
Another carbon block is basically useless. I would just add another DI and you can buy the dual or triple tds meter from BRS if you don't trust the one you have.

shifty51008
02/05/2016, 05:47 AM
Do not run 150psi through the filters, most units arnt rated for more than 100psi.

And why do you need 6 membranes?

Reel North
02/05/2016, 07:00 AM
Chloramines are pretty bad where I live.

How do I turn DOWN the pressure?

shifty51008
02/05/2016, 07:35 AM
membranes won't do nothing for chloramines, carbon removes chloramines. if there that bad you may have to change out the carbon more often.

not sure the correct way to adjust a pressure pump as i've never used one. you can call russ at buckeye hydro and he can help you fix your system to the best way to setup your filter for your issues.

Opus123
02/05/2016, 10:11 AM
Chloramines are pretty bad where I live.

How do I turn DOWN the pressure?

If that is the case, then 2 carbon filters isn't a bad idea. Most people don't need them. As for the pump, some have a little screw on the front side that you can turn to adjust the pressure. Looking at pictures of your pump, it looks like they have it covered up, assuming it has one. Everything I see says it should only take you to around 100psi. Can you check yours and make sure you have the model 100 pump and not the model 200 pump.

I think you have confused everyone by saying membranes. Membrane refers to the RO membrane, so you only have 1. The carbon and di are usually referred to as just filters.

Reel North
02/05/2016, 10:18 AM
Oh lol. I meant canisters. I want to get an extra carbon, and can take or leave the second DI resin cartridge. I'll look at the pump. It very well may be the 200 gpd unit. I bought it 2 years ago. Lately, I've been eating up the DI resins.

azjohnny
02/05/2016, 04:15 PM
You should be getting a lot more water production with a 100 gpd membrane with 150 psi than 120 gpd. On the booster pump there is an adjustment score that uses a 3/16" Allen wrench( at least on my Aquatec 8800). I have a Spectrapure Max Cap and I get about 160 gpd with a 90 gpd membrane with 100 psi.

I think you might need a new membrane. Also it is important to flush the membrane especially if you have high TDS or hard water. I flush mine before and after use

Spectrapure does a Choramine specific carbon block. I would post this question on the Spectrapure section of Reef Central to get the answer straight from the horses mouth

Reel North
02/05/2016, 07:20 PM
I think you are right. Membrane is likely gone. I changed it a few months ago, but now I'm chewing through DI.

azjohnny
02/05/2016, 08:01 PM
I would get a hand held TDS meter (they can be bought on Amazon for $20) IMO they are more accurate than the inline models

Check your TDS levels post membrane and post DI

High CO2 levels will cause you to burn through DI

Reel North
02/06/2016, 06:32 PM
Alright. I'm doing an order thru BRS soon and will get one