PDA

View Full Version : Question about the cycle

alexkharden
02/05/2016, 12:36 AM
So, I have about 80 pounds of aragonite. I know that's only about half of what I need for my 190g dt, ish, but here's what I'm thinking about doing. Please tell me if it'll help. Once I'm filled up and my sg is correct, I was going to put on 40# bag in the DT, and one 40# bag in the fuge. In two weeks I'm making a road trip to Florida to pick up a bunch of live sand and live rock from Tampa Bay saltwater. My thought was, that by putting in the 80# and cycling the tank, I might be able to minimize the cycling I'll have in a few weeks with the TBS rock/sand. I know I'll have a new cycle at that point, but I'm thinking it might not be as bad or as long by doing it this way.

Does this thought process seem reasonable?

MaLi
02/05/2016, 04:57 AM
My opinion Alex;
two weeks is not a long time to run a cycle. You can start it (add a shrimp) but your tank will be on its way. As far as adding saltwater rocks there is risk. If those rocks were cured for a few months in a drum with a skimmer you might be Ok. If they were just harvested from Florida shore I can guarantee you will have a cycle to care for. There will be things dying off those rocks.
It's a good plan, but be prepared to react properly.

hope it helps,
MaLi

alexkharden
02/05/2016, 09:57 AM
Oh I'm definitely prepared for another cycle, I was just thinking since there would already be bacteria in there that there would already be some ammonia processing power going on, helping to minimize cycle number 2.

alexkharden
02/05/2016, 09:59 AM
Oh, and the rocks are cultivated in the Gulf of Mexico, shipped in water.