PDA

View Full Version : Possible 40 gallon Build (Brittle Serpent starfish w/ Pistol Shrimp/Goby pair)

TrevorHenry
02/05/2016, 03:14 AM
Considering upgrading the 20 gallon nano to a bigger tank, possibly a 40 gallon cube. My girlfriend loves her starfish and I don't want to get rid of it even though it's already ate a 60$ meal (snow onyx clown). I want a bigger variety of fish, flame Angels, Wrasses and I know with good rock work and places for her to hide she probably won't be to much a hassle. My concern would be a Goby. Do you think a pistol goby pair would work with protection from her?

fishkid6692
02/05/2016, 03:59 PM
The clown had to either be dying or dead for the brittle to eat it. They can't catch free swimming healthy fish.

ReefWreak
02/05/2016, 05:14 PM
The green serpent stars definitely can eat healthy fishes. They hunt fishes at night. Clowns tend to sleep still in places (mine fall asleep in front of the front glass for hours at a time, and look dead). They have been known to climb up a cave where fishes often sleep and jump and fall down on the fish, trapping it, and eating it.

The brown stars are usually fine, but it's the green serpents you have to watch out for. IMO they're like carpet anemones, they seem fine, and unlikely to eat your prized fishes, but then when you least expect it....

TrevorHenry
02/06/2016, 01:33 AM
My clowns sleep on the sand bed at night. My question was a pistol goby pair be safe against them? Like I said I don't plan on getting rid of my serpent since it's my girlfriends favorite thing.

ReefWreak
02/07/2016, 09:20 AM
I don't know. I doubt anyone can give you a definitive answer. I would say it's probably safer than a goby on it's own, particularly if it lives with the pistol shrimp in the same cave. But no promises.

Maritimer
02/07/2016, 12:45 PM
For what it's worth, from what I've read, the shrimp will most likely "close the door" of the pair's burrow each night by blocking it off with sand. I should think that would offer protection from even a green serpent star. I've watched green serpents catch a floating krill, reeling it in by coiling their arm around it.

(Squeaking of which - there are orange serpents as big as the green ones - are they equally dangerous to sleeping fish, or are they safer tankmates?)

~Bruce