PDA

View Full Version : GFO reactor-what to buy

Mr. Comer
02/05/2016, 12:34 PM
Hi,
Well I finally decided to buy a Hannah phosphate meter and my tds is .25 so it looks like I need a reactor. I've had the two little fishies for years but didn't like the quality. I had a brs duo for a couple years and it was ok but I constantly had to adjust the flow and it clogged easy. I don't need anything huge and I will probably only need to run around a cup of brs gfo (softie/lps mostly). I do plan on upgrading soon to a 150/180 so I do want to plan for the future. I think I may just keep running my carbon in a media sock. My top three choices so far are:
-AquaMaxx FR-SE
-BRS delux
-Avast MR5

Cabo2008
02/05/2016, 12:37 PM
Well, I've run the BRS and Precision Marine reactors and they both worked ok. I'm now running an Avast Spyglass though and love it. It's easy to swap media and clean and I've not really had any issues with clumping but I'm also only running GFO/Carbon.

Mr. Comer
02/05/2016, 03:53 PM
The Avast seems to be a good choice. I'm also considering the AquaMaxx Fluidized GFO and Carbon Filter Media Reactor - Standard.

azjohnny
02/05/2016, 04:03 PM
I have used a Next Reef reactor that was very solid

shifty51008
02/05/2016, 04:35 PM
I use 2 of the avast reactors and am very happy with them. I got the build your own kits which was nice, fun to do and saves you money.