PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Connecting Equipment

titus_4
02/05/2016, 12:40 PM
I posted this in the New to the Hobby forum, but thought maybe I'd have better luck here.

I am setting up a 125 gal tank and want to see if I am doing things correctly. I've done multiple searches and can't quite find exactly what I'm looking for. Here is a list of how I've drawn out how things are going to be hooked up. I realize there are multiple redundancies and backups but I'm doing it this way to make things easier in case of a problem.

Equipment from Wall Outlet:
(1) APC Smart UPS 1500
(1) Surge Protector

Equipment from UPS:
Plug 1: Gen3 XR30w Pro
Plug 2: Gen3 XR30w Pro
Plug 3: Vectra M1
Plug 4: Apex Jr.
---Apex Plug 1: Skimmer (set to delay startup in case of power failure)
---Apex Plug 2: 150W Heater (not sure of brand yet)
---Apex Plug 3: 150W Heater (same)
---Apex Plug 4: Fuge Light

Equipment from Surge Protector:
Plug 1: Ecotech Battery Backup
Plug 2: MP40
Plug 3: Ecotech Battery Backup
Plug 4: MP40
Plug 5: Tunze ATO

My theory on all of this is, if I have a quick power outage (which are somewhat common where I live) the only thing without power would be the ATO. With everything I have on the UPS, I think I can get 10 minutes or so. My reasoning was to keep the equipment from those quick on and off cycles. Maybe it is overkill, but don't want to cause damage.

I've never used an Apex so correct me if I'm wrong on any of it. I will use that to control the heaters to prevent damage if one sticks on, delay the skimmer startup if the battery were to run completely dead, and as a timer on the fuge light.

I also will be using ReefLink to control the Radions, Vortechs, and Vectra so I don't need those on the Apex. I have looked at the ReefKeeper Lite too, so if one of those will work in place of the Apex, I'm not opposed to saving a little bit of money to go that route.

Thanks in advance for any advice.